Columbine

So I was still a kid when those tragic shootings at Columbine occured ten years ago. I actually didnt even know what had happened, at the time. What were you doing when you heard about what happened? Did it affect you directly?

Im watching the news and I just heard that a student at a high school in my area brought a loaded gun to school. He was searched and arrested but still it makes me scared and sick to my stomach. My son is still a baby but thinking about things like this make me scared to death for when he will be going to school.

AdensMommy1107

Asked by AdensMommy1107 at 12:04 PM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• It didn't affect me, and it didn't surprise me.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 12:08 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I was only 10 years old. I dont remember even remember hearing about it, unlike 9/11.. I remember where I was, seeing images on the TV, etc..
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 12:12 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I was teaching school. My students were very upset by the whole mess. We also had to deal with the other shooting in Jonesburg, KY and several others around the country. There was a rash of them. We changed the way many things were done at our school within a week.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 1:13 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I was 29. I live about 20 miles from Columbine and I watched it on t.v. most of the day, between taking care of my 9 month old and picking my daughter up from pre-school. It's interesting now how my oldest daughter is a freshman in high school and lock down and other emergency drills are common in case of events like that. They have similar drills at the K-8 school my other kids go to as well.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 1:17 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I was 23 and I lived in Denver at the time. Sad, horrible day.
    Anonymous

• I was 19 watching The Rosie O'Donnell show when the news interrupted. In a couple days, I was leaving for boot camp. I was shocked, from living overseas most of my life, we didn't even have fist fights in my high school.
    Anonymous

• I was a junior in high school and some friends and I skipped school that day because it was 4-20.
    It also just so happened that my friends and I wore a lot of black. After the Columbine shootings my school life became a living hell. Not only was I harrassed by fellow students because of how I dressed--people would yell things at me like "Please don't kill me," etc but the schools' administration was very strick on me and my friends.
    One time I was called to the principal's office because an ex-boyfriend of mine had 2 year old letters I had written to him that contained curse words. The letters even had a date on them and the principal still tried to give me dentention for them. It was ridiculous.
    Anonymous

• I was 16... and the only thing I could think was how horrible it was that those kids would never get to see the "new" Star Wars movie. I was homeschooled and there was a HUGE growth in homeschoolers the next school year.
    NoahsMomma418

Answer by NoahsMomma418 at 2:04 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I lived in TX at the time and it was my husband's bday. We had plans to go out and celebrate his 33rd bday but instead stayed home, glued to the TV, praying for those families. It was terrible. My sons were 7, 8, 11 and 12 and I did the best I could to explain what happened to them and to not scare them.

tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 2:07 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I was 29 and also lived in Denver.....senseless and tragic. I was at work and my mother called me frantically wanting to know if any of my children were in that school. They were not, but she had to be sure. She was so grief-stricken. I remember looking in the phone book and there are two schools named Columbine in the metro area here. One an elementary and one the high school that we all now know was the place of this tragic incident. I remember thinking at the time that I wasn't sure which one it was, but praying hard, and wondering for what should I pray? That they all be safe? That it be the high school and not the elementary because the older kids might have a better chance, as the younger kids might not know what to do at the elementary? I remember feeling very helpful and confused and answering a lot of questions from my children. Like "Mommy, will they shoot me at school too?"
    lucindamartinez

Answer by lucindamartinez at 2:20 PM on Apr. 20, 2009