• In the Spotlight:

baby and tummy time

how can i get my 4 month old to push up with her arms when on her tummy? She lifts her head very high but has no intrest in trying to lift with her arms.

alyselee

Asked by alyselee at 12:05 PM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• To be honest with you Im not really sure that she can yet. I would just give it time and let he do it when she is ready. Also, my daughter hated tummy time at first so we started it with her boppy which made her upright to begin with so maybe once we went to her flat belly on the floor it was just instinct for her to try to use her arms and keep herself up. I would try it with the boppy now and then and see if it helps.
    asholan_07

Answer by asholan_07 at 12:09 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• i agree with the first person, she may not be ready yet. all babies develop at their own pace. if your wanting to know what is normal for a baby her age go to babycenter.com. they have a week by week development chart. but remember all babies are individuals and dont always do things at the same time.
    stephmiester87

Answer by stephmiester87 at 12:19 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Just have patience. My son hated being on his tummy and screamed and cried until I rolled him over. He had no interest in pushing up with his arms or anything. After awhile I quit doing 'tummy time' so much and just let him do it when he was ready. He passed all of his milestones without incident, learned how to crawl around 8 months and is starting to walk (just turned one year). So I wouldn't worry too much and just let her play and grow at her own rate.
    YzmaRocks

Answer by YzmaRocks at 1:09 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Sounds right for the age. With all these milestones, just try to relax. You can lead the horse to the stream, but you can't force him to drink. Your job it to facilitate his learning, but you can't push him to do something till he's ready. My daughter's 7 months old and is trying SO hard to crawl forward... it's so hard for me to not get down there and help, show her how it's done. But it makes her so mad when I do! With all these things, you just have to sit back and watch, wait... it seems to take a long time now, but one day you'll be looking down at this big kid wondering where your baby went. Savor each stage.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 1:16 PM on Apr. 20, 2009