should i allow him to stay in her life?

me and my long time boyfriend just broke up. and he is the only man my daughter knows as daddy. i dont know if i should allow him to stick around since he isnt her real father. she is only 1 so she dosent really know whats going on. what should i do?

yayasmommi

Asked by yayasmommi at 12:12 PM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Relationships

• If she is so young that she won't even remember him, why would you want him around her?
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 12:14 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I had a friend who went through something similar...the ex kept coming over (was NOT the babies father) "to see the baby". In the end he was using the baby to try to get back with my friend. When she realized that, the next time that he called she told him that he could come and get her whenever he wanted. He never did.

I think that, at that young of an age, if its not something that you want then it shouldn't happen. Its not like she is 5 or 6 and will know the difference.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 12:15 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• That is a tough one. I would say as long as you guys werent going to still be hangin out as friends then she will be fine without him since she is only one. Maybe for awhile she may seem sad but shes young enough that she wont know after awhile.
    Nikky0803PAG

Answer by Nikky0803PAG at 12:16 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• i don't think the question should even be asked, the answer is obviously no, why would you want her to be confused as she gets older. is it my dad or not and who is this new man, cause you will get another new man and he may be the one who marrys you and that is when a child should call their step dad dad and when her real dad ever comes back if he does then that is her dad. she will have 2 daddy's. i don't think you should add a 3rd daddy. who does that.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 1:02 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I wouldn't keep him around. Your daughter is only going to be confused. She has a real father.
    heatherann0221

Answer by heatherann0221 at 1:07 PM on Apr. 21, 2009