Grid-locked between Downtown Leavenworth & Ft. Leavenworth

Hello Everyone!

I am a triple duty type of mom. I also work in Economic Development in Downtown Leavenworth, KS.

I've asked this type of question before. I'm asking again because I really need some creative advertising ideas.

The issue is, Downtown Leavenworth is crying out for attention from Ft. Leavenworth. Ft. Leavenworth doesn't seem to pay much attention to the City of Leavenworth. It's gotten out that I have contacts from Ft. Leavenworth (being military myself), and I am expected to utilize those resources. Unfortunately, that put me right smack-dab in the middle of the everything. So I have to get very creative in advertising.

Leavenworth, KS is unique because it draws from it prison and regional population. But the military is a powerful resource to regenerate the economy. Unfortunately, a lot of the military spending goes to Kansas City.

Any ideas to get the word out?

Thanks,
~Blu

BlueSaphire

Asked by BlueSaphire at 12:13 PM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Blogs, Twitter, Facebook. Encourage local business to join in a "military discount day" where showing your military ID yields special discounts. participating vendors get listed in a hand-out (or web site listings.) use grass roots efforts to spread the word - you tell those you know and ask them to pass it on.

Start a blog - as noted earlier - or e-newsletter focused on things to do in and around Ft. Levenworth.

to ANon12:36(EST) - Get over yourself. Marketing isn't as easy as some may think. 90% of it is creative brainstorming and sometimes that requires one to pick someone else's brain. Everyone that has worked in marketing has found themselves bouncing idea of others or asking for input. She's not asking us to DO the work for her, just for some ideas that she can take and make into her own. If you had none, you could have just said so.
    Anonymous

• One thing I forgot, I have to go outside of the normal routes of military communication. As we all know, the military does not allow outside advertising.

BlueSaphire

Answer by BlueSaphire at 12:23 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• No advice, but I lived at Ft. Leavenworth in 6th grade. My dad went to CGSC. I remember there was a prisoner escape when we were there.................
    Anonymous

• No offense, but if you hold this position I think you should be coming up with ideas yourself and stop looking to others for which you will take credit for.
    Anonymous

• Make a website, blog, post on forums, send letters to news papers, buy billboards...
    Anonymous

• I don't know why I even come to CA from the answers I get here. But then again, bad apples.

I'm just looking for ideas beyond the obvious. I utilize these idea already. There will also be a banner over 4th street. The issue I have is to generate interest once the hard copy has been recognized. So far, what I do is offer points for the students of Lewis and Clark College on post.
    BlueSaphire

Answer by BlueSaphire at 2:26 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Well Darin' you don't need to be so snippy about the answer you get. Maybe if you explained first what you *DID* already it'd be easier not to repeat it.

Anonymous

• We were stationed at Ft. Leavenworth 20 years ago for CGSC and SAMS. I loved it there but most people rarely shopped in Leavenworth proper The PX was pretty good and we went in to KC for other shopping.
    I recall a tiny mall with a JCP - has that improved?
    I agree with military discounts, do they have welcome thing for the new classes? At other installations they would have tables set up for local stores with discount coupons, etc. Also what about welcome wagon? We had that on Fort Hood and it contained ads for local businesses.
    Part of the problem is that people are there such a short time and don't get to know about what is available.
    Is the theatre still there? We enjoyed the plays thanks to Melissa Etheridge!
    Focus on all the historical interest. The CGSC students love that.
    I'l try to think of some other things good luck.
    LibraryLady200

Answer by LibraryLady200 at 3:19 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

stop asking us to do your work for you then, nobody should have answered your last two questions about your work duties. step up to the plate yourself or quit a job you cant do.

Anonymous

• "stop asking us to do your work for you then, nobody should have answered your last two questions about your work duties. step up to the plate yourself or quit a job you cant do."

WHAT?? This place is full of women who have elected to have children and don't know how to feed them or wipe their butts! That is a pretty damned important job and they can't quit.

If you have no concrete suggestions, just ignore the OP.

LibraryLady200

Answer by LibraryLady200 at 8:39 PM on Apr. 20, 2009