• In the Spotlight:

What do you think about this article on adoption from the Washington Times?

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/apr/12/last-days-of-adoption/print/

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:20 PM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Adoption

• I read the article and thought it was rather comprehensive. True that infertility is increasing and true that infant adoption is going down. Also true that statistically black infants are not adopted in enough numbers to study. They are indeed statistically null. It seems rather interesting from all points of view. There are those that wish they kept their child, those who are satisfied with placing, and talking about the agencies. So I liked it and found nothing wrong with the presentation. Truly it was a very unbiased article. It simply showed the controversy surrounding adoption, the issues, and how it will become more of an issue in the future due to lack of infants available. Well done.
    Anonymous

• I think this is an EXCELLENT example of how LITTLE coercion there actually is in adoption from aparents to expectant mothers and how much there is going the other way.
    Anonymous

• We've never said there is coercion from Aparents to expectant mothers... the coercion is from AGENCIES and third parties/facilitators. Most of the time Aparents treat expectant mothers wonderfully before birth.
    Anonymous

• So your saying, anon 11:40 that expectant mothers are all in it for what they can get? FYI: I never got a thing...not a bill paid, nothing. And didnt expect anything for that matter! The agency asked me if I wanted my rent paid etc & I said NO, I did not. If that is what you mean!
    Anyway, how does this article "prove" anything? I think its very biased. HOW are expectant mothers coercing PAPs? Explain this in detail because I dont see it.
    Anonymous

• I'm not going to read the article because I don't believe things like that are anything other than someone's OPINION and that's it. Even if it provides links or quotes of "professionals," anyone trying to prove anything can find a professional SOMEWHERE that agrees with them...be it pro-adoption, anti-adoption, or trying to prove that cats have a second layer of skin that is purple w/pink poke-a-dots.

In regards to the coercion from BParents to AParents...it does exist. I know this because it happened to us in regards to deciding the amount of openness three months after DD was placed in our home.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 2:25 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• The latest federal data show about 6,800 babies a year are relinquished at birth for adoption, a minuscule number out of nearly 3 million unwed pregnancies. Moreover, only white women place their babies for adoption. Since 1989, the number of black babies relinquished at birth has been statistically zero.

I did not even finish reading the article..
    where she got that from is beyond me..
    there are tons of black children up for adoption..
    Getting a white infant adoption is hard...
    I could not even read the rest of it..
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 2:37 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I thought it was pretty accurate and unbiased.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 3:21 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Sorry, I thought I was clear: this article shows how LITTLE Aparents are coercing expectant mothers and how MUCH anti-adoption fanatics are coercing emoms and making them feel that they are terrible women for making adoption plans and that the children will be all messed up for the rest of their lives.

And yes, PAPs are constantly told that they shouldnt be any where near expectant Moms because their mere presence magically makes the woman want to surrender their babies so it is not just agencies who you say are coercive.

So I didnt mean that E-moms are coercing Amoms into anything, I think the paying of excess bmom expenses is a different topic than this.
    Anonymous

• http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/apr/14/adoption-success-a-reality/

This reporter wrote a followup article 2 days later on how adoptions are occurring.
    Anonymous

• I haven't read the article but I will. As far as there being tons of black infants for adoption that is untrue. There are many minority children available for adoption through a state welfare agency but not so much in the private sector. The number certainly is not zero as you posted but it is very very statistically low. The reason is that most African-American families culturally do not place through an agency. Friends or extended family is culturally their first option in general. There is a distrust of primarily white agencies, distrust of whether or not white families can raise a black child in this society.....lack of adoptive black parents. Many many reasons for this. It is very hard to actually complete a successful infant black adoption in a private adoption. I will read the article for sure.
    Anonymous