Group B Strep

does anyone know anything about group b strep??? is it treatable for the pregnant mother???

heather13190

Asked by heather13190 at 12:22 PM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Pregnancy

• http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancycomplications/groupbstrepinfection.html

That site will tell you all you want to know about it. Its not so much a concern for the mother as it is for the baby.
    Anonymous

• That Anon was me...I don't know why it did that. I never answer anon!
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 12:23 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• GBS is a bacteria that can occasionally colonize in a pregnant women. It can occur anytime, and even if you are negative at 36 weeks, you could still have it giving birth. That test is unnecessary in my opinion. While routine antibiotics *may* prevent the baby from getting it (studies are inconclusive) the outcome IF the child get's it isn't improved. In fact, could be worse because the baby will need stronger antibiotics thanks to the introduction of them prematurely.

The website given above is *ok* but it's definitely biased. ABX are not necessary during labor. A tea tree oil suppository or hibiclense every 4 hours is just as, if not more effective, without the side effects/IV.

There aren't really risks to the mom, just the baby. If you have it you can take echinacea, 1000mg vit.c, and garlic capsules. Even use a tea tree oil suppository. These can keep it at bay/prevent the baby from getting it as well.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 12:34 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• but, this is just what I would do. Obviously it's up to you to research it, talk to your doctor, etc.
    celticreverie

• I was positive for group B strep with my daughter. During delivery I was on antibiotics, and after I delivered her they gave her antibiotics as well. It can be very harmful to a newborn baby, but they watch them very closely if they know you have it!
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 1:44 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Group B doesn't bother the mother, just the baby. Some people have it and don't even know it.
    RyleeMendez

Answer by RyleeMendez at 2:03 PM on Apr. 20, 2009