how old?

At what age should you start to give your child an allowance?

xhellxfirex495

Asked by xhellxfirex495 at 12:25 PM on Apr. 20, 2009 in General Parenting

• IDK. We have never given our kids an allowance.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 12:26 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• When they are old enough to start doing chores. I am a firm believer that money should not just be given away...they need to earn it, even if they don't quite grasp the concept yet. (For me it will be around 5 or 6 years old)
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 12:26 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• In our house she will receive a weekly allowance at age 5. It is her walking around discretionary $. It will not be tied to chores. The reason is that I don't pay you for contributing to the household. That is expected. If you live here, you will contribute. The allowance will be a small set amount. I only buy clothes, toys, etc for birthdays, holidays, start of school year. If I go to the mall to buy you shoes, you are getting shoes. Not then deciding last minute to get a toy. If you want a toy, you will need to save for it. I hope you makes mistakes, like blows it all on a cheap thing that breaks or candy that is gone in 5 min. That way she realizes it isn't just replinished and learns to budget and learns to avoid instant gratification. As she ages it will be a monthly allowance, and for the same reasons.I believe in telling kids "You may have it with your money. If you won't spend your $ for it, why should I?"
    kara_g.

Answer by kara_g. at 1:20 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• My son is 8 yrs old and he gets an allowance. This teaches them how to save money and to work hard and you will adventually get what you want and need.
    dabadstmom

Answer by dabadstmom at 1:56 PM on Apr. 20, 2009