Depression meds for adults

Ok the thing is I have depression I am supose to be on Zoloft, but I haven't been taking it for about 4 years now. I thought I was getting better, then I noticed I am still depressed and then I take it out on everyone else. The thing is it isn't all the time I am like that only sometimes, but when it is my time of the month I am like reeeeaaaalllly bad. I was telling a friend about it and she is also on zoloft and only takes it as needed so she gets them refilled even though she didn't need them yet. So she gave me a couple I only took them because I was on them before if it weren't for that I wouldn't have taken them. It works so I was thinking about getting back on them. The thing is I have a diffrent doctor than the one that gave me the zoloft so how do I tell this doctor and will he put me back on them when he never prescribed me them?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:39 PM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Health

• Hi.I am currently on Zoloft and have been for a little over four years.In the past I have been on a couple other depression meds that didn't agree with me.You could tell your doctor that you had taken Zoloft in the past and it worked.You could also tell him you stopped taking it because you didn't think you needed it,but realize you may be wrong.Just leave out the part about taking your friends Zoloft(which technicaly is illegal).I think (not 100% sure)that Zoloft has been used to treat severe pms.The thing with drugs like Zoloft is you need to take them consistently for at least 3 weeks to get the full effect.I don't know about you,but when I am not taking my zoloft consistently,not only is depression a problem,but my irritability is through the roof!Being a mom, that means big trouble because I kids suffer even more than we do.I hope this helped and good luck!
    angelic2831

Answer by angelic2831 at 12:54 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Anti-depressions meds are not like aspirin. You can't "take as needed" and feel better in the morning. There is an accumulative effect to the med, and takes days of build-up in your body to have an effect. Good or bad. There are a hundred different types on the market now. You may need a different type than that.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 12:42 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I was on zoloft before and I am supose to be on them I just want to know hoe I am supose to tell that to this new doctor that never gave them to me?
    Anonymous