My son is 6 weeks old now and has started biting while breastfeeding. I am getting very sore. Any suggestions?

mom2CandT

Asked by mom2CandT at 12:46 PM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• he could be starting to teeth. my son did at two months. nothing that i know of that you can do about it.
    stephmiester87

Answer by stephmiester87 at 12:48 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Re-evaluate his latch. Make sure it's big and round. You can also adjust your hold. He may be trying to get comfortable and adjust flow. I would think 6 weeks is too early to be teething, maybe just grinding for comfort.
    Anonymous

• THe first time either of my kids bit I pulled them INTO the breast so their noses were smooshed until they let go and immediatlely sat them down besdie me and waited a few second before picking them back up, but they were both like 6 months or so. Neither of them bit again. This young it could just be a latch issue and it is very common to get sore in the first couple months of nursing.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 12:58 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Do you have a lot of milk? Does the milk spray out if you take him off? He could be clamping down to try and slow a strong flow of milk. Take a look here and see if you have any of the other "symptoms" of Oversupply

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 3:27 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• mine did that when they were done eating... if ti happens at the beginning fo ryou then that's not the case but if he is doing it after eating for a bit he may just be full..and bored...
    LuckyClown

Answer by LuckyClown at 4:11 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Thank you for all the advice. Thank you maggiemom2000 for the link. I will try some of the things on there too and see if it helps. I am thinking the biting may be from a fast flow problem. He does cough some (not every feed), he is really stiff during the first 20 mins of the feeding, and he pulls back from a good latch often throughout the feeding. Thanks again everyone!
    mom2CandT

Answer by mom2CandT at 2:09 PM on Apr. 21, 2009