4 month old chewing all the time

My 4 month old is always trying to chew on something all the time!- either his hand, or mine, or some toy...is this normal? he is drooling a lot too... does this mean he is teething? is there something i should do to reduce it ..

elizabee

Asked by elizabee at 12:47 PM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's probably teething. My daughter will be four months old on the 26th, and she's been teething for a good month or so now. She does everything you're describing. It's normal. Put a bib on him so you won't constantly be changing clothes. If he seems to be in pain, or if his gums are inflamed, get some baby Orajel and rub that on them. Or give him a cold wet washcloth to bite on. That should make his gums feel better. I've been told that the first teeth are the worst painwise, after that teething gets easier. Good luck :D
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:58 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• It's normal and doesn't necessarily mean teething. All babies do it at that age -- the drool and the chewing -- whether they're teething or not. Both my daughters did the same amount of it and my first daughter got teeth at 5 months and my second is 7 1/2 months with no signs of it. Also, not all babies have pain symptoms during teething, so I wouldn't rush out to get the Orajel yet, since it should be a last resort if the pain gets really bad and chewing on something cold doesn't help.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 1:04 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• its probably teething. just give him something to chew on. and try not to let him chew on you. im did that and now im having the hassle of breaking my son from biting. get some teething tablets. they're great you can find them at most stores come in a blue whie and pink box usually near the binkies. get some teething rings and stuff.
    stephmiester87

Answer by stephmiester87 at 1:06 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Babies will also stick everything in their mouth to learn what is part of their body and what isn't. Also it is the main way for babies to figure out textures. It COULD mean teething, but I wouldn't jump to conclusions, unless you are noting other signs. :-)
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 1:25 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• What are the other signs of teething?
    elizabee

Answer by elizabee at 1:28 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• With some babies you can't tell they're uncomfortable or anything until the teeth show up. Other signs would be inexplicable fussiness. But really, I wouldn't jump to giving teething tablets or Orajel just because your baby is chewing and drooling. These things aren't necessary for lots of babies, especially for these first teeth. Molars and canines are another story.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 1:43 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Totally normal! Could be teething, but also babies like to "explore" with their mouth. Your lips are and mouth are some of the most sensitive parts of the body, it is their way of "feeling" new things. They have a lot to learn about and explore in this big now world!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 3:25 PM on Apr. 20, 2009