Ham and Bean Soup

I'm making ham and bean soup with my lefover ham, and i got a basic recipe offline, but i want to know how you ladies do oyurs, to see if there is anything i should be adding or subtracting because i want it to be delicous!

Basically. is said to simmer the ham bone and beans, until beans are soft.

take out 1/3 of the beans and mash them., take meat off ham bone. add back into water and add carrots, celery, onion, pepper, garlic powder, paprika, and simmer until veggies are tneder.

Anything else you ladies suggest? I'm stopping at teh store on my way home, so i cant get things if i dont have it!

Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:51 PM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I debone the ham, add to a stock pot 3/4 full of water with the jelled fat (gross I know!) with chopped onion, small amount of salt & lots of pepper. Boil until liquid is reduced by half or more, then add in 1 jar of white northern beans (sometimes an additional can as well) I like to use the jarred beans because I don't have to sort and soak like you do with dried. My husband doesn't like anything but onion in his bean soup but you could add more veggies. Did you presoak your beans? If not, you'll have to quick soak them before adding them to the soup or they'll take forever to cook.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 1:01 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• they've been soaking since about 6pm last night! =D
    Anonymous

• add a beer and some chicken stock insted of water. use a bay leaf and some thyme for seasoning and a dash of worcestershire sauce too! If you have trouble with the beans softening add a pinch of baking soda.
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 2:25 PM on Apr. 20, 2009