good or bad?

Last night me and my SO were joking around and he said something about he could control me if he wanted to but he gives me freedom because he trusts me so i told him that the only way i'd even put up with him controlling me was if we were married and I was cheating on him. The whole thing was a joke. He got really serious and said "If we go a year without fighting (physically), I want to get married. But we can get engaged now". I thought he thought that I was trying to get him to marry me so I told him that I didn't mean it that way and he said he knew, that he wants to marry me. About the fighting, I'm not that type of person and he has never layed a hand on me so that confused me. I know he had a 3 year relationship with a girl who would do everything she could (including hit him) until he would restrain her and/or hit her back. I trust him not to do that to me but I keep the history in the back of my head. Cont.

Marix3

Asked by Marix3 at 1:07 PM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Relationships

• Have you perhaps not been together a year? Or maybe he means when the child is a year old? Anyway, I'd just shelve it in the back corner of my mind and not dwell on it. See how the relationship progresses and if you still feel the same in a year.

Answer by Bmat at 1:10 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Cont. my question is..should i take what he said in a good way? or should I worry that maybe he thinks our relationship will play out like his past one? I would honestly love to marry him, hes the man I want to share my life with & i would love to have our child grow up with Mommy and daddy happily married.I guess the whole thing just confused me.
    Marix3

Answer by Marix3 at 1:07 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• well. he might still hav that fear i the bakk of his head. maybe sit ith him and ask him y he sprung that on u lik that.
    xhellxfirex495

Answer by xhellxfirex495 at 1:11 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• he could just mean that he love you and he wants to marry you. and you wrote that the only way you would put up with him controlling you if yall was married. so he might want to control you so i dont know how you should take it
    angel_megan

Answer by angel_megan at 1:12 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• sounds like a crappy proposal to mebut i guess it wasn't a real one. oh well to me it sounds like he wants to make sure that you guys have a good relationship not like his ex and a yr is his dead line and then he would like to marry you just like you feel you would like to marry him.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 1:20 PM on Apr. 20, 2009