How the heck can I get a 2yr old to take a pill?!

My dermatologist ass gave me pills to give to him for a fungal infection and she told me to dissolve them in juice. Lil j will take one sip and make a face. He want drink it! I don't know what else to do. I even tried putting it in soda but he does the same thing.

diamondmamma

Asked by diamondmamma at 1:17 PM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Maybe mix the soda and juice with the pills and give a smaller amount so he will get more of the meds even if he just drinks alittle
    NicholeAT

Answer by NicholeAT at 1:20 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• 1.dont let him see u put it in
    2.let him pick a juice he really likes and put it in there, trust me he wont noe the difference.
    Desi2Sweet

Answer by Desi2Sweet at 1:19 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• desi2sweet he didn't see me at all! But I do stand there and watch him, Im guessing he figures something is up. He loves soda, soda to him is like winning the lottery to us, so I put it in the soda.
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 1:21 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• How big is the pill? Hide it in a donut hole maybe? Is it a tablet or one that you can pull part and empty the contents? If it's a tablet try the donut hole idea, or something similar....something about a bite size. If it's the other, you can try emptying it in applesauce, that's what my mom always did for me. I guess you could try smuggling the tablet in applesauce. Stick it in the spoonful of applesauce and down the hatch. Good luck!!
    boizmom

Answer by boizmom at 1:21 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Nicholeat...i never thought of that. I can put it in a syringe! yea! thanks guys!
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 1:22 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• just dissolve it in some applesauce, he will gobble it right up
    pattigioeli

Answer by pattigioeli at 1:43 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Ask for a liquid, I do not know any 2 year old that can swallow a pill. The powder may taste bitter and nothing will help that. I would ask for a different med.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 3:04 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Trust me when I was in the office I asked her and she said that its the only method of getting rid of the infection effectively.
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 3:26 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• A pill for a 2 year old is insane.

Just going by what our pediatrician says...putting medication in juice or any other liquid isn't a good idea due because some medications have an adverse reaction with certain liquids and there is no guarantee they will drink it all AT ONE TIME for a proper dosage.

I hope you can get the medication in him some how!!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:25 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I agree ask for it in a liquid of have them change the med to something else
    If for some reason this is the ONLY pill which is unlikely (you might want to ask a pharmacist if you doctor doesn't have a clue)
    Then put the pill on a bite of pudding or applesauce and see if your child will just swallow it.
    If that won't work dissolve in a very small amount of liquid, like a TEASPOON, add some sugar too so it doesn't taste as bad, draw it up in a syringe and squirt it in your child's mouth.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:45 AM on Apr. 21, 2009