Why does she gag on cereal, AFTER she's ate almost all of it?

My little girl has been eating cereal for almost a month. She has been doing good the whole time. Then after a few weeks of it, she will eat about half a bowl or so, then every bite she will swallow, then stick out her tongue and do a little gagging face. I figured it might mean she is full, because she only does it with the last couple of bites, but then she will still drink a few ounces of a bottle afterwards.....Confused!

srhmldndo

Asked by srhmldndo at 1:20 PM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• She is probably full or getting full and can't tell you she is done. My daughter does it to and I just stop giving it to her and give her a drink then try again. Sometimes her throat gets dry too.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 1:22 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I think the previous poster is probably right. There is a possibility that she has a sensitivity or an allergy to the cereal, perhaps it would help to try a different kind. I know that when I used to eat gingerbread I'd eat a few bites then start coughing, turns out I am allergic to ginger. Even though your baby isn't doing the same thing, it occurred to me that it could be possible. Probably not.

Answer by Bmat at 1:25 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I highly doubt it's an allergy. Like I said, she's eating cereal from a spoon for a month. And for a month before that I put a tablespoon to 4 oz of milk in a bottle. She's not allergic, of that I'm sure. It's something she just recently started doing. I just wondered if maybe she was bored with it.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 1:30 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Solids and breastmilk(or formula) are totally different and seperate from one another.
    You should offer the breast or bottle prior to giving any solids as they are not meant to be the main course but more like dessert.
    Babies still need the nutrition provided by breast or formula for the first year of life.

But you're right, if she's sticking her tongue out towards the end then she's probably just full.
    Both of my kids did the same thing and they both breastfed before and sometimes after eating solids. Good luck! :)
    Anonymous

• She's full that's why. It happened to my step daughter when she was a baby. I would get frustrated because i thought she didn't eat enough & then i felt horrible when the Dr. told me she was just full.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:42 PM on Apr. 20, 2009