How old was your child when you trasitioned him/her to a toddler bed?

Mom2Caleb06

Asked by Mom2Caleb06 at 1:21 PM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• 31 months. Remember, this is not an age issue... there is no "best" age. There is only when you feel your child is ready for the increased freedom and danger of an open bed and when you are ready for the potential loss of naps and nighttime bedtime battles.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:01 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• my son is 18 months and still in his crib. i'll leave him in there till he's 3 if he wants!
    ClvDandJ

Answer by ClvDandJ at 1:25 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• my first was 11 months old and only bc she was trying to climb out she gave me no fuss when i took her out my second was 14 months bc i got my oldest a ragular bed so i just put the toddler bed in her room to use it and she gave me hassle about it it took a week to get her to sleep in it so even now she use to sleep through the night now she wakes up 1 or 2 times a night she wasn't ready, but i don't want to put the crib back up so i am just dealing with it i say if they aren't climbing out yet i wouldn't worry about it i think it makes it harder if they aren't ready so i would wait until they start to climb out that is the start of them being ready
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 1:29 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• We skipped the toddler bed and went right to a twin bed at 21 months. She has done very well with it and stopped needing the bed rail at 23 months.
    jillmw

Answer by jillmw at 1:36 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• We put ours in regular beds at 15 months.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:37 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• My daughter's 22 months and she's still in her crib. She'll go straight to a twin bed, because I think the toddler bed isn't worth the money. She'll stay there until her sister outgrows the pack n' play, until she climbs out, or until she turns 3, whichever comes first.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 1:48 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• At 22 months my son climbed out of his crib and we moved him directly to a regular bed. In his case, it's a double since his crib converted to a double. It has worked our well but we had a few bumpy weeks. I'd skip the toddler bed as it just adds another transition into the mix. However, don't rush it. The younger they are they harder it may be to get them to understand the concept and keep them in their beds. Good luck!
    Anonymous

• around 21 or 22 months. She's been there since January w/o any major issues. I had to put up a baby gate in front of her door b/c the last two weeks she wakes up at 4 and climbs in bed with me and I don't even realize it! Now she sees the gate and gets right back into her bed. No fussing or anything.
    Anonymous

• My kids both went right into twin beds. My daugther at 15 months when I was expecting #2 and my son at 19 months. My pediatrician says there is no reason for a child over 18 months to still be in a crib...in fact it is a falling hazard.
    NorahSethsMommy

Answer by NorahSethsMommy at 2:37 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Our son was there until he was almost 2. We moved him because he started to complain about bumping his head on the side of the crib every night. I have heard that cribs are fine up to 3 years old as long as the child isn't trying to climb out of it!
    TiffaniR

Answer by TiffaniR at 2:48 PM on Apr. 20, 2009