4 year old girl hoarding food??

My girlfriend has a daughter who just turned 4...she's a bit chunky but totally fine to me. However my friend has a problem with her daughter's weight and makes it known. So she shared with me that she found out that her 4 year old has been hiding food in her room. She'll sneak food, snacks when she's up before my g/f and she'll hide cookies, etc under her pillow. My g/f didn't seem as though it was a big deal but I was worried. I've heard about this with teenagers having eating disorders but never this young. Has anyone ever heard of this?? Is it normal? Can it be a sign of something else??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:23 PM on Apr. 20, 2009 in General Parenting

• If her mom is making it known then the little girl is probably finding comfort in the food and can enjoy it without hearing her mom's comments and yes it can lead to a serious eating disorder. It sounds like the little girl is trying to enjoy the food without the stress of her mom. I would speak to the mom and maybe talk about healthy snacks for her and getting rid of the junk food. Positive changes without being criticized is what she needs. So I would speak to her and her mom about why she does it before she ends up obese or vomiting her food up to feel better.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 1:27 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• tell mom to stop buying the junk food she's hiding. She's only hiding it bc mom probably shows her it's in the house then tells the girl no. The child is fine.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:37 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• She's a baby. I like it when children has a good appetite. Her mother just need to switch the snacks a little. I am a snack mom, I pig out on snacks with my children but we do it in moderation. It's definitely not a everyday thing.
    dabadstmom

Answer by dabadstmom at 1:54 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• If her mother is making a big deal about it, then the child isn't too young to understand. My friends little girl seems to understand that mommy and daddy can't afford food, so she won't ask for seconds, but when she's at my house or my friends house she has no problems asking for more food. I think she understands that we can afford it or at least knows we aren't upset by her eating. I'd imagine it's the same with this girl. She's hungry, but doesn't want mommy to be upset so hides the food so she can eat it w/o hurting/upsetting mommy. I would think this needs to be addressed sooner rather than later as it can turn into issues. If it's more serious than that, then it's a good time to find out now, asw ell.
    Anonymous

• LOL...I can laugh now because my daugher that did this is 10 now. Every since she could walk and didn't sleep in a crib anymore until she was about 7 we had this problem. When she was 2 I would wake up every morning to a messy pantry (it was an open pantry with no door) She tasted EVERTHING! Even the cinnamon and corn meal. She absolutely loved food. I would find bites out of the butter, cereal piles under her bed, wrappers in her drawers. I started putting certain items in my room at night after a while and just quit buying other items. Good thing is she loves fruit and juice. So I tried switching some things around to kick some bad habits. Spankings actually never helped because the urge was too big. She never got fat but did get a little belly. She is 10 now and we don't have any unusual eating habits with her. Just don't endulge or encourage her and try to keep her favorites out of her reach. Just don't let her see where.
    CynthiaJesseen

Answer by CynthiaJesseen at 10:35 AM on Apr. 22, 2009