sippy cup question! (1st time mom)

my daughter will be 8 months on the 26th. ive tried introducing her to the sippy, but she plays with it and then tosses it to the side like most of her toys. she likes the cup with the spill proof straw. do i put formula in that? or do you continue to put formula in a bottle and juice in the cups? its all very confusing!

lovinsophie

Asked by lovinsophie at 1:25 PM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You're getting lots of conflicting answers. I'll tell you what my doc told me, k?

She said to start replacing 1 bottle at a time with formula in his sippy cup. Start with midday, then morning and last the evening one. By "replacing" she meant having a sippy with formula on his tray when I gave him his snack, then lunch, then with breakfast and lastly with dinner. The hardest one to break will be his before bed bottle because it's emotional for you and for baby and "losing" those snuggle moments before bed hurts. lol It does! But it's for baby's own good, right?

Then at 11 months, start slowly replacing the formula with a milk/formula combo. Make the formula regular strength, but slowly increase the amount of milk in the sippy vs the amount of formula.

That way, by the time baby's 1, he's all but off the bottle It TOTALLY worked perfectly for us and baby uses only milk or water in his sippy with NO drama at all!
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 2:00 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• i dont put formula in my sons cups. only juice or water. or even half strenth gatorade, half water. it still throws it but he does the same thing to his bottle. you have to let her get use to it. my son has had his since he was 4 months when he started holding his own bottle and still throws both. sometimes they do it just to get you to pick it up for them. it becomes a game. how to tell if she is doing this is she will laugh or smile when she does it and then throw it again as soon as you give it to her. just give her time.
    stephmiester87

Answer by stephmiester87 at 1:31 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• It's not all that confusing, really. Don't let her play with it, teach her to drink out of it. Once she is drinking from it at all, get rid of ALL the bottles and make the switch complete. Anything she can drink from a bottle, she can drink from a sippy cup!

If she prefers the straw cup, go with that! There's nothing that says they EVER have do drink from a sippy. If she will already drink from a straw cup, go with that and put everything in the straw cup, getting rid of the bottles!

Easier to get rid of them now rather than later!!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:33 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Your not supposed to put formula in cups. Just juice or water because the purpose of the cup is to break them of the bottle and formula. If she will drink from a straw then let her do that but no formula. She will get used to that and then you will have to break her of that to get her off her formula. Only when you start giving her milk do you put it in a cup. Then you do 1 oz of milk in place of 1 oz of formula until its all milk to ease it into her system.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 1:33 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• so, switching from bottle to straw isnt confusing for her?
    lovinsophie

Answer by lovinsophie at 1:35 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• If she's already taking a cup, all you have to change later is her drinking milk instead of formula..one change instead of two. If she can drink from a straw cup there is no reason for a bottle. Formula can be put in a sippy cup, it can be put in a straw cup and in some cases where a doctor has recommended extended formula use, it can even be put in a regular cup.

But you know what...the best advice is for you to do what you feel is best for her...and maybe even speak to your pediatrician if in doubt. Ours knew we had them on sippy cups at 6 months and congratulated us for getting them off the bottle so early. They still had their formula in the cups and he knew it.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:41 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• brailynsmama08

Please provide a link to a reliable site showing where formula cannot be put in anything other than a bottle.
    Anonymous

• I started giving my son a sippy about your daughter's age. He played with it for about 5 months before he realized that he could get good stuff if he actually drank from it (boob baby, a little slow to catch on, lol). It probably won't take your daughter as long to figure it out since she's used to bottles. I used dilute juice for his sippy or flavored water designed for babies. I don't see why you couldn't also use formula - it's what she's used to drinking so maybe that would encourage her to use it. Lots of moms use formula well into the toddler years to supplement what your little one is eating and you're supposed to start weaning off bottles at around a year for dental reasons so I really don't see any reason for avoiding formula in the sippy. Whatever gets her practicing with the cup should work I'd think!
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 1:58 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• It's up to you. I would make the formula in a bottle (so I could measure it) and then pour it into a sippy cup. I only did juices in it until around 10 or 11 months then put formula to wean from the bottle. My dd loved the nuby straw cups. She couldn't figure out how to lift the cup to drink (we used drop ins for her bottle, so she didnt' have to lift those either! ) so loves the straw cups.

Don't worry if your child just plays with a cup either. It's a good time to introduce it, not force it ya know? So if it's a few mintues playing, seeing how it works, then moving on for now, that's a good start. I found if I took the valvue out so the formula or jucie poured out, dd was more willing to work at drinking the cup than if she didn't realize there was something yummy inside.
    Anonymous