Do you put your dogs food and water in their crate?

Let me start by saying I am a stay at home mom. So my puppy would only stay in her crate for 1-2 hours at a time. And that's not even every day. She cries and whines and barks everytime I leave. Do you think that if I put her food and water in her crate with her it would help calm her down and get her used to it? Any helpful suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Robinsbirds

Asked by Robinsbirds at 1:28 PM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Pets

• i think it would make a huge mess i wouldnt do that i trained my dog to stay in his cage a favorite blanket and maybe a toy and if he barked i just covered the cage with a blanket and he would lay down and take a nap just like a little kid but let puppy right outside after you get back to avoid the accdent
    tired703

Answer by tired703 at 2:17 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• if you puppy is still not housebroken and she's not in there more than a few hours I would not put in food and water.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 1:29 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• NO she will make a mess with it. Only if your going to be gone for 6 hours at a time. Feed and let the dog drink before you leave and it will be fine until you get home. If you put the food in the cage the dog will end up using it as a toilet as well. Put a blanket in her cage or a chew toy. I promise you she stops after a few minutes. I've had quite a few dogs and usually within 10 minutes they stop. Try training her while your home to not do it. Put her in the cage and if she beings to yelp and bark tell her no, hush or something that works for you. We would just say Stop and it took a week and they got the hang of it.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 1:31 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• LOL if you put her food and water in there, you'll have a mess to clean up when you get home. She'll get used to it eventually..... we had to start crating our Chihuahua.... at first she complained, but we kept giving her a treat every time we put her in and now we just say "Go to bed" and she climbs right in.. No barking, crying or whining, no matter when she has to go to bed.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 1:33 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• It's totally fine to feed your dog in its crate.
    aurorabunny

Answer by aurorabunny at 4:13 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• No, I did not. I don't suggest it.
    Buffie95

Answer by Buffie95 at 4:53 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• There's nothing wrong with feeding them in their kennel. All of mine have food bowls in the kennels. Water on the other hand does make a mess if its in a bowl. If you want water and food in there then I recommend getting a water bottle that can hang on the side. It doesn't take long at all to train them to use the water bottle either.
    heather91686

Answer by heather91686 at 5:51 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• that will only end up in a mess! she might step in the water and food bowl and dump it then youd have a wet cannel and pup to clean up! trust me! I had a very tame pup and I tried it twice and never again! everytime i came home to a wet dog with soggy puppy chow all over him.
    Kayge

Answer by Kayge at 12:03 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I wouldn't crate an animal, IMO it's just cruel. If you are a SAHM then your puppy shouldn't have to be in one... I have trained many dogs and never once had to use one. It's a commitment, they go where I go, and are treated just like my children, because they are a member of the family.. They whine and cry because they feel alienated, they see all of you together and don't understand why they can't. I am a firm believer the owners need to be trained more than the dog.... Be consistent, take him out everytime he's fed, get into a routine and use the same door everytime, they will associate that with going out. Spend time outside so he can mark his spots so that when he is taken out he will be able to easily find his spot back... Be a good pet parent, don't crate your baby...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:54 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• We have to crate our chihuahua when we leave her or she is very destructive. Our dogs are fed once a day, so I don't leave her food, but I do leave her water.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 10:54 AM on Apr. 21, 2009