so we got a male boxer.....but

i don't want him. he marks everything, we got him from a friend. at first i told them i wanted it but we didn't hear from them when the wife asked so i thought they changed their mind. so i was happy cause i kinda changed my mind about having a 3rd big dog with no back yard cause we are seeding it & a make sift dog run that really sucks. so i told my husband that i didn't really want the dog so if they ask to tell them so or that if we took the dog if he didn't work out (cause why did the original owners who had him from a pup didn't want him i may not want him either) we would turn around & rehome him. so we have the dog & he is marking. i don't want him & wondering how much should i ask for a rehoming fee. i'm asking for rehoming fee cause some people pick up dogs and resell to labs 4 testing. i have no friends or relatives to take him in which i would do for free. he is akc and 1 1/2 yr old. so how much?

melody77

Asked by melody77 at 1:33 PM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Pets

• is he fixed? That should stop the problem. And you can find low cost spay and neuter programs anywhere if you think cost is an issue. Seriously we paid 20 to get our dog spayed at the ASPCA.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 1:36 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• MANY shelters take dogs and do not kill them. Contact a pet rescue orgranizatin in your area.
    pattigioeli

Answer by pattigioeli at 1:39 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• it's not just the marking but that is my biggest issue. patti i didn't think of that. still would like a rehoming fee amount cause we think our other boxer needs a cyst looked at and hoping it's not cancerous and that will cost money which i'm pretty sure we won't have enough should it be cancerous. although my main priority is to rehome this dog but i thought it would help to kill 2 birds with one stone if at all possible. so i still need to know what fair a rehoming fee would be.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 1:54 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Neuter the dog and the marking will stop. It's that simple. And unfortunately Patti is incorrect...I wish she was right, but most shelters are kill shelters, even many that say they aren't. Even so there's not much to be said for rotting in a dirty, lonely kennel cage in a shelter for the rest of your life instead of being humanely euthanized.
    aurorabunny

Answer by aurorabunny at 4:12 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• put up an ad at your vet's office and say he is not cut, and someone who has a female needing to breed will take him. I would love to have him to breed boxer puppies, but were not close.
    Anonymous

• Whatever you do, please ignore anonymous. At least neuter the dog BEFORE you re-home him and advertise him as such. Not only will you be doing your part for the thousands of dogs that die in shelters everyday but you will weed out a lot of people who might only want your dog to churn out litters and would not be interested in treating him well at all.
    aurorabunny

Answer by aurorabunny at 6:33 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• If you have your mind made up that you will rehome him and you don't want to work with him to correct the marking issues (which can be corrected), please be sure to neuter him before rehoming him. Neutering will help weed out a lot of undesirable homes. Also, try contacting a boxer rescue near you to see if they can help with finding him a loving home. A lot of rescues, even if they can't take the dog... will assist in finding a home by courtesy listing on petfinder and other adoption web sites. Most will require that he be up to date on shots and neutered, so keep this in mind. Otherwise, if you do it on your own, be sure to ask questions and visit the home BEFORE you place him. Get vet references as well.

If you CAN keep him and are willing to work with him, get a belly band and then redirect him when he starts to lift his leg. You can use Natures Miracle to eliminate his scent from area's he's already marked.
    DiamondTiger

Answer by DiamondTiger at 7:46 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I'd be happy to help you with this if you want to try working with him... as I work with dogs with various behavior issues. I do Pit Bull rescue.

Also, if you do rehome him... I wouldn't ask for more than you've put into him (and please be honest) in the last few months.... and not including the cost of food, treats, toys and other general pet items. Most people won't give you more than what you've paid for shots and recent *basic* vet bills such as neutering. Most will balk at even that. AKC papers mean nothing, as MOST dogs that are registered are not breeding quality or stock. Please don't promote him as a breeder because he is not.
    DiamondTiger

Answer by DiamondTiger at 7:50 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Also you can call Boxer Rescue. They will take him and many people looking for a boxer know to look there for one that needs a home.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 10:00 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Trying boxer rescues isn't a bad idea....but don't count on it as a for sure thing. I'm not entirely sure about boxer rescue (I do pit bull rescue) but we are constantly overloaded and can't very often take owner releases. Not only do we not have the room but they still have a better chance of finding a home than deathrow shelter dogs.
    aurorabunny

Answer by aurorabunny at 10:46 PM on Apr. 20, 2009