My breastfeed baby won't take a bottle

My baby is just under 3 months old and about 2 weeks ago he stopped taking bottles. He is a breastfeed baby and has never had issues switching back and forth before. I am a working mommy so this is becoming a major issue. I have to leave work a couple times a day to go nurse him and I don't know how much longer I can do this. We have tried multiple types or nipples and bottles and none of them seem to work at all. I thought that if he got hungry enough that he would just take a bottle but after 7 hrs he still won't take a bottle. It doesn't matter if the bottle has formula or breast milk he still won't take it. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

kshepherd

Asked by kshepherd at 1:42 PM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter NEVER took a bottle. I breast fed for 2 years. Couldn't get a night out until she started eating solid food. I didn't mind though, I loved all the bonding time. So, i guess i don't have any advice since nothing worked for me either. SORRY! Be glad that he breastfeeds! So many mom's can't do it at all.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:50 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Make sure to let whoever is watching her know that he will probably scream. You just go to work. If he gets hungry enough he'll take the bottle. But be prepared to come home to a hungry baby(mine only took a little bit to take the edge off until I got home) who wants to nurse all night long. This is actually a good thing and is called reverse cycling. It will help you in that you don't need to pump as much during the day at work. Also keep in mind that he only needs 1oz per hour that you are away from him. Here's a milk calculator that might help. http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html
    Make sure you're using the slowest flow nipple available. I know it's nerve wracking leaving him, knowing that he may scream. But babies will NOT starve themselves. I promise. You could also try having the caregiver use a eye dropper or syringe to feed him if you're concerned about fluid intake during the day. Perhaps a cup? (cont)
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 2:11 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Emi was a little older when we started doing cup feeding, 3.5-4 months I think. If she has good head control now it might be a good option to consider.
    I hope this helps you some!
    Arisce

• Maybe Reverse Cycling would work for you? This is where he gets all of his feedings in when you are together. Maybe you could at least get it down to only going to nurse him once a day?

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 3:22 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• i dont know if you tried these or if your willing to spend the money on it but wal~mart website has these bottles ive never seen before so i think they are new. half the bottle is nipple material... it looks like a breast, squishes like a breast, and just by looking at this bottle im sure it feels like a breast. its called the adiri bottle and here is the website

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10716208

HTH's!!!!!
    F43L34

Answer by F43L34 at 12:28 AM on Apr. 21, 2009