Sunburn relief?

I have to be to work in a few hours, and I have a sunburn that hurts like hell. I mean, it is on my legs and it hurts to stand up or bend my knees.

Before you say "Use sunscreen next time" I am not asking how to prevent sunburns - I made a mistake. I was gardening without sunscreen on - I did not expect to get such a bad burn. So if you say that your response will be deleted.

I have been using aloe, and it helps a little, but I can't go into work smelling like that! Do you have any at home tips for sunburn relief?

CarolynBarnett

Asked by CarolynBarnett at 1:46 PM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Aloe gel or noxema cream. The only relief i know of.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:48 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Noxema, but that smells even worse than aloe. (works very well, though, even on the kids!)

Cool compresses when the burning gets too bad? (hard at work, I know...but takes some of the burn out for a bit)

Any kind of moisturizing lotion will help a little bit.

Oh....crap...forget what it's called...OH!!! lanacaine spray!! (sp) The stuff they gave me at the hospital to spray where I had torn and been stitched after delivery!!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:49 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I suggest taking a bath with two cups of vinegar. It really takes the sting out.

Also you could try that Noxema cold cream. It is a face wash that is really thick, it really helps too.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 1:49 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I know it may sound like a "duh" answer but sit in a cool bath, it will draw the heat out. Then rub it with vinegar... That's what my Mom always did with us. Try to wear something light, and 100% cotton.. Hope that helps!
    4x4mum

Answer by 4x4mum at 1:51 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I swear by aloe gel. It doesn't smell and it works wonders on any kind of burn, not just a sunburn.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 1:51 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I was going to say vinegar, but they beat me to it. Just will add, make sure it's apple cider vinegar, the brown stuff. It does smell, but the smell quickly evaporates and it sure does help sunburn--take it from a fair-skinned redhead who burns thinking about a sunny day!
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 1:54 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Thank you ladies, I will try the vinegar :) Now that you say that, I recall my grandma suggesting it to me years ago but I thought she was crazy, lol.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 1:57 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I second vinegar. It only smells for a short time.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 2:01 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Aloe Vera GEL. And BTW you can't delete anyone's answers. And from someone who's father lives with skin cancer, even if you're only going to be outside for 30 minutes, USE SUNSCREEN!!! Lol.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 2:35 PM on Apr. 20, 2009