How do I get through the night?

My 6 month old son was sleeping through the night in his crib at 2 months. Well a month ago we went out of town and I had no choice but to keep him in bed with me at night. Now he has a night time seperation anxiety and will sleep no more then an hour alone in his crib before he screams until I help him. Plus he just wants to nurse long enough to make sure I'm there then dozes back to sleep. I don't mind him sleeping in my bed but I want to break this before he gets too old. HELP!!

IluvGreg

Asked by IluvGreg at 1:47 PM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'm inclined to say that if he's done it before, you can get him there again fairly easy if you let him cry. Oh no, here come the allegations of child abuse... sorry to open the floodgates...
    Anonymous

• lol thank you. I try to let him work it out on his own. I just don't know how long is too long to let him cry. Plus it is hard to hear his cry knowing he wants me.
    IluvGreg

Answer by IluvGreg at 1:57 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I agree.. I would let him CIO.. He's done it before and it wont take as long as with a baby who hasnt.. A day maybe two.. No I dont mean lay him down shut the door and never go back in there til the next morning by any means.. I mean go check on him every 5-10 minutes once he starts crying and go from there.. Because as you said he's not nursing because he's hungry he's nursing to know you are there.. I would try it and if it doesnt work I would try the no cry sleep solution... It's a good book.. It's going to take longer the CIO but it may help
    TristansMommy16

Answer by TristansMommy16 at 2:02 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• My ped said he let his own kids cry for up to 2 hours - and I have done taht for my son also. as long as you know there's nothing medically wrong. that's what I HAD to do .
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:42 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• my dd started to do this at six months and she never slept with us. i think she just realized we werent in the same room all the sudden. i had to let her cry. i would go in every 10 min and calm her down by patting her or talking quietly to her. i never picked her up unless she was sick. she's back to sleeping on her own again unless she is sick and she's 7 months old. its tough good luck!
    tatmum

Answer by tatmum at 8:11 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• lol, crying helps develop the lungs! at 6 months of age if you know for sure hes safe and there arnt storms or loud noises then let him cry. also play very soft calming music when its time for bed. some people do that to help their children relate quiet music to bedtime. if you turn it down low where he can only hear it if he is quiet then he will eventually figure it out. and if it is quiet the brain will slowly put to sleep the rest of the body making it easier for him to sleep through the night.
    F43L34

Answer by F43L34 at 12:23 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Thank you ladies. I have a baby einstine CD I play only during naps and at night time. I don't know if it helps or not. Oh and his lungs are plenty strong! I feel bad for him because he screams so loud and so hard he coughs and It really bothers me. I try just patting his back and talking to him and he screams louder. Tonight is our first night trying to reset and sticking with the advise given. So far he has givin in to the pacifier which he has never taken and cried his little heart out. Lets see how the rest of the night goes......
    IluvGreg

Answer by IluvGreg at 12:54 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• THERE ARE OTHER WAYS TO GET A BABY TO SLEEP BESIDES LETTING THEM CRY ALL ALONE!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry for the all caps but im sick of seeing "just let him cry" as advice to deal with a SIX MONTH OLD BABY! Geez folks, they are BABYS they dont get it, they just think you are leaving them all alone for no good reason, babies just dont cry for shits and giggles, there is usually a good reason, even if that reason is they are scared and want to be cuddled by mommy....hello, its a SIX MONTH OLD of coarse they are going to be scared when left all alone and want mommy.

I dont get it! I co sleep with my baby, I did with my 1st 7 years ago and she turned out just fine, is a perfectly healthy and developed 1st grader on the honor roll and reading at a 3rd grade level, it did NO damage to anyone letting her sleep with us and its not doing any harm now with Joe...my 2nd child somehow just liked his crib and that was OK too!
    jlizgar

Answer by jlizgar at 11:08 AM on Apr. 21, 2009