For Christians - do you find these doctrines to be essential?

My DH and I are going to a new church. We started attending a sunday school class called connections. It is to get to know the church better. It is a huge church. Next week we will be talking about the church doctrine. The leader of the class said in a brief overview of next week, that many of the pastor's disagree about some doctrines but all believe that Christ died for our sins, rose again and He is the way to heaven, this is the essential doctrine. But then he said something about them disagreeing on marriage/divorce, baptism, pre trib/post trib among some other issues. DH and I were talking and feel that these, even though they are not essential to salvation, are essential to believing the Bible as a whole and are very important. We don't understand our leaders of a church can disagree on such topics. What do you all think? Could you stay at church were the leaders do not agree on issues? Are they nonessential?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:49 PM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Well, to me, some things are more essential than others - of course the existence of Christ and the acceptance of His salvation are the #1 priority. And, personally, I think everything else is a personal choice between you and God.

Is this a non-denominational church? If so, that would account for the disagreements, most non-denominational pastors come from different church backgrounds - everything from episcopalian to methodist to assembly of God and baptist. If it's not, then you might consider one. Consider this - other than the disagreements, how do you feel about the church itself? The other parishioners? The pastors themselves? Do they have a good children's program? Good music? These are all things to put into perspective. Don't let a little thing like doctrine stop you from going to a church if you really like it.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 1:55 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I dont know that I could be at a church where all didint believe the same thing. The church I belong to does not have this. We all believe the same thing --what is written in the bible. There are no meetings of church heads to decide what is right and what is wrong. It's hard to explain all at once really.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 2:07 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• see for us (Jehovah's Witnesses) we must study the Scriptures before we are baptised so we understand and can explain from the Bible what we believe and why and everyone is in agreement so we are an earth wide united family,
    lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 2:15 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• First off,watch out for big churches!They are big because they are either doing two things.Preaching what people want to hear and not what they need to hear or preaching their own sermons not necessarily from the Bible.I've been to big churches and the one was just like that,preaching what people want to hear.In order to really grow in your faith and become a mature believer you need sermons that teach you the real Christian life.They believe Jesus died for your sins but do they preach that you have to stop sinning?It's hard to find the perfect church,but finding it is essential for your Christian growth.I would listen to Christian radio preaching their the best or listen to on-line sermons,like Mike Macintosh.You can look up; The Bible answer man and get answers for those questions.I think if your church doesn't agree with those,then it's a big red flag to get out of there because church doctrine is the core of a church!
    countingsparows

Answer by countingsparows at 2:17 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I would continue to pray about attending that church. The church I attend agree on the core values and the basic doctrine. How can a church function well if the leadership is not in agreement across the board. My Pastor , his wife and all the elders are in agreement and function like a close knit family. They are amazing! I love them to bits :-) So really pray about that being somewhere that you want to and believe you can grow. God will speak to your hearts! Be open to listening to His voice! :-)

lisarose the only thing I liked about the JW is that they are big on family. (sorry I don't agree with much of the doctrines there)
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 2:20 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I think you answered it - they're not essential to salvation. Only you can determine if they are essential to you and the place you want to worship. Our church is interdenominational. Our pastor has said things before about it not mattering how one was baptized before even though he believes in immersion and that's what they do at our church, but it is the heart attitude that mattered when the person was baptized. Issues of the tribulation are even disagreed upon by major scholars, why is it odd that mere church men also disagree lol Divorce/marriage I think it depends on what the disagreements are about it. I would read over their statement of faith. Do they believe in the Trinity, Christ's divinity, that scripture is inspired by God and are without error in the original manuscripts. Those things would be more key to me than issues like divorce, tribulation, and baptism (unless they believed one was saved by baptism,)
    pwfaith

Answer by pwfaith at 2:23 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• As long as they go by Ephesians 2:8-10- look it up Jehovah witness lady it is by grace and not works we are saved.(I would stay with a Southern Baptist/Baptist/Presbyterian church they stick with the Bible which is Totally God inspired King James Version.

Dr.Charles Stanley and David Jeremiah are excellent tv preachers, I agree with the giant church thing if
    it is all about money or the appearance of the church watch out it may be a scam!

I go to a small southern Baptist church,and love the family feel!

JW read 30 yr. watchtower slave! You are in a cult!!!
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 2:29 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Shaneagle88: lisarose the only thing I liked about the JW is that they are big on family. (sorry I don't agree with much of the doctrines there)

Thanks!! we do put our Brothers and Sisters before the Laws of Nations if they are in conflict with God's laws like we would not go to war because killing doesn't show love to people and everything we believe is from the Bible because we only follow it without the Traditions of men, we're Sola Scripta.

lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 2:30 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Is this a non-denominational church?

I feel that everyone should be on the same page, or at least close to it when teaching the congregation. Otherwise you're confusing the body of Christ. You should study your Bible and see how you interpret the scriptures, pray about it, then go where God leads you for church. He will guide you where you need to be.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 2:33 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• 2mothershelpers: you should really read James chapter 2, it's the Works of the Mosaic Law that would not save you but works of love are the product of Faith.....

lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 2:35 PM on Apr. 20, 2009