Baby shower for baby # 2

Just a question... I was always told that you have a baby shower for the first baby only.
A co-workers wife is due in June with her 2nd boy( their 1 st is 2 yrs old) and they are planning another shower for this baby... Does anyone know the etiquette on this?

stepmom2boys407

Asked by stepmom2boys407 at 1:54 PM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I dont think it matters... I think each baby is specail and should be celabrated the same way....
    BallardMomma

Answer by BallardMomma at 1:55 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Buy a practical gift and something inexpensive as they should still have everything. Maybe buy her a spa massage or something. Or get diapers and rash cream or baby shampoo and stuff. If they are asking for all new things for #2 I would reconsider even going. If they are just doing it to get together to celebrate the pregnancy and baby then go and have fun and bring a small little gift.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 1:56 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Every baby deserves to be celebrated. What business of yours is it anyway? If people are willing to help her out, why not?
    RyleeMendez

Answer by RyleeMendez at 1:56 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• RyleeMendez you don't have to be so rude. She was just asking a question, and if they invited her to a baby shower she has the right to ask about the etiquette, so chill.
    Anonymous

• Proper Etiquette says that a baby shower is not required (actually it says it is not appropriate to ask for gifts) if the baby is being born within three years from the first and is of the same sex. aka if her first child is a boy and the child she is having now is a boy. She can have a baby shower if she wants and people can bring gifts if they want, but it is actually considered inappropriate for her to make a registry or ask for large gifts as you normally would with a first child. The reasoning is because with such a young first child you should still have most of their things to use.
    However, if the second child is of another sex, it is quite different. aka if she has a boy and is now having a girl.
    It is also different if her second child is born 3 years or more from the first child, no matter the sex.
    It also matters if they are throwing the shower themselves or if a friend is doing it as a surprise.
    littlemrsmarcel

Answer by littlemrsmarcel at 2:04 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• They are celebrating the fact that they are bringing another member into their family. They are happy and excited about it and their friends and famliy are joining in that excitement and happiness. Who cares if it's been 3 years or 13, if it's another boy or a girl? I wouldn't buy something huge and expensive either way, I just can't afford that, but doesn't a new baby deserve to be celebrated just as much as the first, for that matter it shouldn't be a big deal if it's baby #12, every new life deserves to be celebrated. And shouldn't the new baby have a few things that are just for him/her because he/she is special and not just an add on to the family.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 2:10 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I merely responded the "proper etiquette" which is what the OP asked for. I did not express my own personal views on the subject.
    littlemrsmarcel

Answer by littlemrsmarcel at 2:12 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Why wouldnt you have a baby shower for each of your children? You wouldnt buy one a car, yearbook, or a prom dress then leave the other one to fend for itself when the time comes to get them stuff. I think having more then one baby shower for a baby is pushin it though.
    lunamuse89

Answer by lunamuse89 at 2:13 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Thank You
    Their first is a boy (2 yrs) and they are having another boy. They are registering for high priced items becauce they wan tnew stuff... The crib they got for their first has never been used, their son sleeps with them. The cheapest thing they are asking for is 150.00 dollars
    stepmom2boys407

Answer by stepmom2boys407 at 2:13 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• thats old tradition. my kids will be 20 months apart, and both of them had two showers. but it also depends on who's willing to throw one for the expecting mother. my good friend from work offered to throw me a second shower, and my mom wanted to throw me one. also my first was a girl my second is a boy
    mzprincessreina

Answer by mzprincessreina at 2:20 PM on Apr. 20, 2009