Could my baby be possible Twins?

I'm about 3-4 weeks pregnant and I had my first ultrasound today. The tech showed me a normal round sac and then said..."oh" here's another. She then said the second "sac" is not well formed like the other one which may not necessary mean "twins". Sometimes that happens and two sacs show up but the other one dissapears with time, especially since on my ultrasound both sacs were not equally round. Has this happened to anyone else? Has anyone with twins had this happened to them? I won't find out until about 4 weeks from now the true outcome of whether or not I may possibly be carrying twins.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:50 PM on Jun. 20, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Wow! That's an early ultrasound to begin with! I would say, don't get your hopes up. Scientists say something like 70-80% of people were originally twins! My sister didn't even know she was having twins until she was 6 months pregnant! I think the best thing would be: hope for the best, prepare for the worst. (Whatever your best and worsts are) Hope it helps!
    NomadSara

Answer by NomadSara at 4:54 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• This early in the game, it is hard to know for sure whether you are carrying twins or not. For me, my first ultrasound was at 5 weeks and they saw two sacs. One sac was larger and the other and they told me that they would do another ultrasound in a week to see if they could "see" one or two hearts beating. One and a half weeks later, they saw 2 tiny heartbeats!!

If for some reason you have a higher risk of having multiples (for example, you took clomid or had other fertility assistance), then you very well could be carrying twins. Either way, congratulations!!
    bailey0919

Answer by bailey0919 at 5:01 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• I am SO suprised that you had an u/s that soon usually the dr will wait til they can hear the heartbeat and stuff so they show you the heart and all. I would think no it isn't twins, but Im NOT a dr so good luck if it is or isnt once you are further along they will be able to tell you more on the twin thing.
    Sarah
    1boy1girl4me

Answer by 1boy1girl4me at 5:02 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• I didn't even realize they did ultra sounds that early. Just wait several more weeks before jumpind to any conclusions./
    KCMom1

Answer by KCMom1 at 7:08 PM on Jun. 20, 2008