Potty Time? When are they ready?

My son (going on 3) is at a point where we are starting to get him ready to use the big boy potty. He was off to a great start! Anytime we told him we should try to go he was on the toliet and peeing in no time and everyonce in a bluemoon he would even tell us he had to go. We began by rewarding him with one gummy bear or m&m every time he would go. This seemed to be working great!
All of a sudden he has stopped. He no longer wants to go, candy and toys don't help. We bought him real underware and he was soooo excited, however he still pee'd in them; which led to him peeing all over the furniture. I have no idea where to go from here... he's still in the pullup's (we don't want to backtrack) but we're out of ideas. Please... anything you have :-)

LilBangersMom

Asked by LilBangersMom at 1:58 PM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• With my son, I started with pooping in the potty first. It doesn't take as much remembering, since its less often during the day. Then we went to peeing. Depending on how long your son can hold it, you should take him about five to ten mins before he usually goes. Keep him in a pull up all day one day and just check every fifteen mins or so if he has gone. That way you know how long he's holding it. You can try letting him use the big potty instead of a little one, they have toilet seats that go over the big seat at walmart for about 10-15 bucks that have different characters on them like spiderman and superman and diego and elmo. That might also help you out. Instead of rewards like candy and toys, try a sticker chart, and when he fills up a row, you take a special "potty trip". Like the zoo, or picnic at the park, or chuck e cheese, or mcdonalds play land. Hope this helps =]
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 2:09 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• When I potty trained my son at 2 I started with the small briberys such as m and ms but he was really thrilled with showing his daddy his stickers on his chart(just a white sheet of paper) when he came home of an evening.The thing that worked for us was the underware yes he peed in them,yes i felt like was washing a hundred pair a day but it worked in just a few days.He too went thru not showing intrest anymore but he deffitly did not want wet underware!
    Chrystal_A

Answer by Chrystal_A at 4:44 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• i started introducing potty training to all 3 of my boys once they hit the 1 1/2 mark ( just showing them not really expecting anything) but once they hit 2 (my 3rd hasnt gotten to that point yet) thats when i really start training them- and with my 2 older boys both hit those snags and it seemed the harder i tried and more i pushed them the less they wanted to do it- so i read some of the best advice- let it be- and thats wut i did- i stopped forcing them and it was like a week later for my first to get it without any mistakes and about 3 or 4 days with my 2nd- so thats wut i recommend for u to do- back away- dont stop encouraging him like if he goes on the potty reward him- but dont pressure him- he will do it in his own time
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 4:52 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I tried to start when my dd was 2 years old, and she just wasn't understanding what she should do on the potty lol*. So instead of trying to "push" her into potty training, I just let her come to the bathroom with me everytime I went so she could see what mommy does. She is 3 and she basically potty trained herself. We still have accidents occasionally. But I just let her tell me when she was ready to do it. I don't know if all kids are like this? But I thought potty training was a breeze. Hopefully the next one will be easy like this as well. I am not going to force the issue any more. They get it on their own time! She still wears a diaper at night though.
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 5:35 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I think I made it too big of a deal when I trained my son.   If I had to do it over again, I would relax.  I guess I was anxious to get him out of diapers.  Reading books about it might be helpful because they explain in a way a child can understand.  http://www.cjkidz.com/parentsgrandparentsteachers.html   

momjs

Answer by momjs at 12:27 AM on Apr. 21, 2009