Can I get some advice for my first garden?

So I am about to start my very first garden ever! I am really hoping it goes really good. So does anyone have any good advice for me? I never even had to make flowers live before so I am pretty much lost here. This is a veggie garden. I can use any kind of advice you have to give. Like with weeds, bugs, what is best to do and not to do. I need it all!
Please

armywife1111

Asked by armywife1111 at 1:59 PM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Concerning Snails and Slugs - if you do not want to use a chemical to keep them out of your garden, you can do a couple of different things
    - put a plate of beer out. Yes, beer. They love that stuff, and they will drown in it before ever getting to see your flowers.
    - Put a border of salt around your garden and replenish once a week. That stuff is like acid (the bad kind, lol) to them.

Concerning weeds
    -Prior to planting, turn up your soil and be sure that it is vegetation free. Its good to start fresh.
    - You can generally know what seeds are growing by keeping a little stick or something similar at the beginning of the row that you planted them. After they start to sprout and you become familiar with what the seedlings look like, you can start safely pulling weeds without fear of pulling your flowers.
    -Weed at least weekly. Even if it doesn't seem like there is a lot to pull - if you let them go, weeds will take over quick
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 2:04 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Don't over water. Get a good plant and veggie food, pull out all the weeds as they come up. Plant things far enough away so they can grow. You can buy spray to keep insects off so they don't ruin the plants and as for the veggies get a fence to keep around it to keep animals out once they start to grow. If you plant tomatoes make sure you buy the stakes to tie the vines up so they don't fall over and die. Keep all the veggies in a row of the same king and with the flowers plants them according to the amount of sunlight they need. Mix up the colors to make it as colorful as possible.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 2:07 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Plant twice what you hope to get, some for the bugs, some for the rabbits. :) Start small. Keeping the weeds out can be a big task, so it is better to have a small garden and be able to keep up with the weeds than to have a big garden and have it get out of hand. Speaking of weeds, I always laid down newspaper, several layers, between rows. You have to cover all edges with dirt and rocks or the wind will get under it. This keeps down a lot of weeds and also helps keep the soil moist. Water once a week about an inch, this is better than light waterings, it makes the roots go deeper. If it rains an inch then that's all that's needed. For tomatoes, bury a lot of the stem in the soil, even if you need to bend the stem over, tomatoes root along the stems and you'll get a better amount of roots. Pick off the suckers from the tomatoes- the little branches that grow between the stem and the main branches.

Answer by Bmat at 2:10 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Make sure you have enough room, like squash needs more room as they grow wider. stake your tomatoes and they can get wide to. We leave enough room in the rows to retill to keep the weeds down. sunlight is very important for veg. more than 6hr. and my fav. this year so far is my strawberry plant for last year-it is realy spreading!
    Anonymous