Can we purchase our parents' home??

We live in Va. My husband's parents home is up for sale, "short sale". Does anyone know if we can purchase it. We were told by one real estate agent that we can not-but wasn't really given a reason why, and we were told that there may be a possibility to buy. Any info. is helpful, thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:08 PM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Why couldn't you buy it? If your credit allows then why not? If you want it find a new agent and put in an offer and GOOD LUCK
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 2:09 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• i dont see why not? DH uncle bought his moms house bc he felt it wrong to sell the house he grew up in to someone else. And my moms aunt bought land from her grandparents to keep it in the family...

I say get a new real estate person. My mom tells me (and I live by it) If you dont like their answer keep asking different people til you hear what you want. GL
    theheartbaby

Answer by theheartbaby at 2:12 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Can't imagine why you couldn't buy your parent's house. We bought my dad's house from him. We just got a blank purchase agreement from Office Max, agreed on a price, filled it out, signed it and went from there. We didn't even have to have an attorney. We just did it all ourselves. We've lived there for almost 12 yrs now. If I were you, I'd look into it more before giving up. Best Wishes!

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 2:21 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Get rid of the agent. Go straight to a lender for the loan processing. I bought my moms house too. We agreed on a price and only dealt with the mortgage lender officer.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:21 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• look into a first time home owners program too for the purchase of the home. The agent probably will not make comission if they sell it to you. IDK. Once my brothers old "friend" real estateagent TRIED to convince my mom to sell it to this guy dirt cheap who was going to make a profit later. We felt something fishy was going on so we said no. Be careful!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:25 AM on Apr. 21, 2009