Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

living will questions

Im 21 years old and my boyfriend is 27 years old and we have two children. I was wondering how much does it cost to get a living will drawn up? How can I go about getting one made? Do i need a lawyer or something? If something happens to me or their dad who gets to take care of my children if I dont have a will? If I do get/make a will will the person I chose to take care of the children know before hand or do they have to agree to it before I can make a will?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 2:08 PM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Health

Answers (3)
  • Go to and look up living wills. You print it offline and get it notarized at your local bank or DMV. You usually talk to the person you want to leave you kids with so they know and can agree to it so there isn't drama later on.

    Answer by brailynsmama08 at 2:11 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

  • I don't think you can name guardianship in a living will. A living will is for medical type things. You will need a regular will. If something happens to one of you , the children stay with the surviving parent. If something happens to both parents and there is no will stating guardianship, then it will be a big mess. Usually though, a relative will step up and take the kids in. If there are no other living relatives, then the kids go in foster care. My advice is talk to an attorney so there are no problems later on.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:36 PM on Apr. 20, 2009


    Answer by peggy353 at 5:46 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.