Any tips on decorating my Front Yard?

My front yard is pretty bare. We do have a flower garden wrapped around a tree and some bushes in front of the house, but, everything else is so boring. Any ideas or tips on inexpensive ways to decorate my yard? And I'm not only talking about greenery like plants and flowers...I'm talking about yard decor as well.

joannakitler

Asked by joannakitler at 2:33 PM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I like incorporating antique/rustic garden equipment into the landscape...to create a focal point. Such as:

* Half keg/pickle barrels turned on their side and partially buried in the ground, with annuals "spilling out" of the barrel, surrounded by perennials in a bed of mulch with large accent rocks. An old metal wagon used as a flower planter, and strategically located near a flower bed. Old farm equipment that is odd/interesting, placed in a flower bed, with decorative perennial accents. One or two wood or metal arbors marking the entrance to a side yard or back yard--covered with climbing roses or clematis vines, flanked by evergreen bushes.

Decorative accents include seasonal garden flags, magnetic mailbox covers, barn stars, Amish Hex signs, door wreaths, solar powered pathway/driveway lights, flagstone stepping stones, split rail fence corner accents with shrubbery and perennial accents.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:28 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I'm in the same boat hope you get some good ideas. I do have some thing i got on clearance at the end of summer last year like a 150$ fountian I paid 30 so keep in mine thats a fab. time to shop for outdoor items. I even got a 250 screened cazebo for 75 so I cant wait to get started!
    Anonymous

• Take your time and get some nice things you really want, being hurried may lead you to buy tacky stuff just to fill in bare areas. Buy some classy items and don't overdo it. Also, put things in clusters rather than planting randomly around the yard or your yard will look like trailer park retirement homes in Florida.
    Anonymous

• I have bench and outside wall decor and plants are lillys and lavender bush. The ground is part mulch.
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 6:01 PM on Apr. 20, 2009