What should my perspective about fertility drugs and treatments be? I can't decide....Just asking for YOUR opinions I'm kind of torn.

I kinda think if people have enough money for them, than good for them, but they are soo expensive and so many children are looking for homes {which adoption is also sooo expensive} but I don't know if I really beleive its right to "play God" especially when all these multiples are being born, and it put people lives in danger! After OCTO MOM I am scared to see the future of fertility treatments and how far these dr. may be willing to go....anyways any opinions would be appreciated.

LainysMommy

Asked by LainysMommy at 2:42 PM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't like to judge other people.It is a personal choice made hopefully by responsible adults and doctor.

Tristana

Answer by Tristana at 2:48 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Some people just cannot fathom the fact of not having children of their own. Which is okay! My Godfather is one of those people.. him and his wife really wanted kids, but then found out she couldnt have kids at all. We suggested adoption, but he just really wanted a child of his own flesh and blood.. I dont think there is anything wrong with that.

Hopefully one day if im financially stable enough I would love to take in children with disabilites and teenagers that others usually do not want..

By the way- What happened with Octomom was rare. Its unheard of to implant 7 embryos and come out with 8 children. Does that justify her irresponsibility? Of course not..
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 2:49 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I can see how a mom would want her own blood children, even though you treat them the same no matter what, it is still different to me. I agree with you on the multiples. I would say its a very personal decision and its hard to state a clear stance because there are so many situations and reasons for needing the medical help. I think a lot of women have trouble getting and keeping pregnancies because of environmental factors and changes in lifestyle (doing it all ...working and raising kids, cooking, cleaning) as well as things that are in our foods that affect our health.

I can see both sides of this one too. Maybe state how you feel on both sides and when you get done you will lean more one way than the other at the end.
    rjacob2008

Answer by rjacob2008 at 2:50 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• OHHHH I just want to clarify why I am asking, because I'm writing a paper about it and have to say what MY perspective is....I',m not judging anybody!!!!! =)
    LainysMommy

Answer by LainysMommy at 2:50 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• The problem is that there should be some sort of mental assessment-and there usually is to some degree-before using these drugs. Octomom did not undergo such an assessment and I think that it has already been determined that the doctor was full aware of her situation.

She shouldn't have been allowed to get more fert. treatments,

I think that it is not a woman or man's fault if they can't get pregnant. Thats nature. If we have science to help them have a baby-then why not.

But not all that other craziness, like eye color, etc. Thats too much
    Anonymous

• It is very natural to want your own children, it´s instinctual. We all dream of having children that look like us, that will inherit our characteristics. For women, we dream of the experience of pregnancy, of breastfeeding...all of those bonding experiences. For these reasons, I cannot look down on those who choose to do fertility treatments.
    However, personally, I never would. Too many children need good homes and the world is becoming way too populated. I would feel guilty if I spent all of that time, money and energy trying to concieve, rather than on giving a good future to an orphaned or abandoned child, but that´s just me.
    moniquinha

Answer by moniquinha at 3:01 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• why do people assume using fertility drugs is "playing God"??? that REALLY pisses me off. would you tell a person that their child shouldn't get chemo???? NO, but isn't that playing God?? trying to prevent a death that 100 years ago would have happened?? I personally feel that when you choose to end a life(abortion, assisted suicide,etc..) It IS playing God. you can go through 100 cycles of fertility meds and NEVER get pregnant. it is still in GOD's hands! whether or not those eggs fertilize or will even be viable. I went through 3 rounds of fertility drugs and didn't get pregnant on them. I got pregnant the month we stopped them to move. it happens when it happens. there are very tight restrictions when it comes to infertility treatments(most dr.s follow the ONLY 5 egg transfer "standard" to REDUCE the risk of 4+ babies.) in IUI it is more likely to produce lots of babies because the sperm is allowed freedom to however(cont
    TippyD

Answer by TippyD at 3:04 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• many eggs the momma releases. as to the Octo-mom situation. the chances of having identical twins is RARE. that she "had only 6 implanted" IMO is absolute BS. her dr. LIED and implanted more IMO. oh and the chances of having all eggs implant from an IVF is rare as well..
    TippyD

• High order multiples are 'more likely' with fertility drugs than without BUT they are still a rarity. Multiples in general are not a given. Yes, odds are higher than with no assistance but they are still not 'high.' OctoMom's dr is not the norm. Most will cancel an IUI cycle if too many egg follicles have matured to limit the risk of high-order multiple. With IVF, most will limit the number of embryos that can be transferred back at one time.

"Playing God", some feel that way. Whatever. Think of it this way, if you're in danger of losing a pregnancy because your progestrone levels are low, is taking supplements to sustain the pregnancy "Playing God"? Should the mother with repeat pregnancy loss due to her own hormones be told to adopt or can medicine intervene? Women with risk of GD, Pre-eclampysia, etc that might lead to loss or complications, should they have intervention or be told to skip pregnancy and adopt? (cont)
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 3:20 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• (Cont) I don't see fertility treatments as being too much different than intervention to help a mom sustain a pregnancy in terms of "playing God" vs medicine. My children are not the result of fertility treatments or adoption - however, I *did* under go them prior to my first pregnancy (oh it's a long story I can't hit in this answer box. LOL!) The fact is I wanted a child created by my husband and I the same way you do. I wanted to experience pregnancy. I wanted to give birth. If a doctor could help me achieve that, I wanted to exhaust that avenue before pursuing other options. Cost age (DH was 40) were factors in adoption scenarios. (Some agencies will not consider applicants 40+) In the end, I got pregnant without fertility treatments - I'm a rare lucky case of those that have traveled that path. Infertility is a heartbreaking journey and it's worse when people judge you for it.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 3:24 PM on Apr. 20, 2009