Does measuring ahead have any correaltion to when you will deliver?

I am measuring 2-3 weeks ahead. Just wondering if that means anything.Big baby, early delivery?

zackaroosmom

Asked by zackaroosmom at 2:43 PM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Pregnancy

• means nothing lol. Sorry.... it isn't a very accurate test for anything. :)
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 2:44 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• It may mean both or nothing at all. It's not an exact science.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:45 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• means nothing . you could just have alot of fluid the baby could possible be big , or it could be the way the baby is laying. even if hte baby is big it does not mena you will deiever early . you could still be late.
    but good luck !!!
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 2:46 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Doesn't mean much of anything at all. Measurement isn't something to be depended on. For all they know, the baby could be lying in an awkward position, making the uterus measure larger. If you measured yourself every single day for a week, you'd definitely notice changes. Don't worry, it doesn't mean anything.
    littlemrsmarcel

Answer by littlemrsmarcel at 2:47 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I measured 2 -3 w ahead with my last baby for most of my last tri. He was born 10 days late, I was induced and ended up needing a c/s (after 16 hours of labour). He was 8lb 1/2oz. I had a lot of amnio fluid which was where the measuring ahead came from. My biggest problem was that because of the excess fluid he had more room to move around and the little bugger turned breech the night before I was induced - hence the c/s. I just wish they'd caught that before the 16 hours of labour.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 2:48 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• well i am eight months and im measuring 42inches and i go to the dr this wednesday to schedule my delivery date so yes it can mean something!
    jozalynnsmommy

Answer by jozalynnsmommy at 2:57 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Nope. :) I measured ahead with my son and chose to be induced at 41 weeks so my Mom could be there (WORST decision ever... my body was not ready!). I've been charting my fertility signs after pregnancy (to identify when I ovulate) and have learned that it's possible that instead of ovulating on day 14 like doctors assume - I actually ovulate around day 20-21. Which means that my son was induced BEFORE his "due date" really came. Sad! The moral of the story: don't worry about when you'll go into labor - you WILL go into labor eventually. :) And if you end up having a big baby - you CAN do it! :) I got suckered into the whole "big baby...we gotta' induce you" scare and ended up with a scary experience and a CS. Next time I plan on birthing at home. Let me know if you want to talk!

MamaSueCongdon

Answer by MamaSueCongdon at 3:16 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• jozalynnsmommy im sorry but you shouldnt had been induced for that . if you go by my measurements im 39 weeks now but i meausre 45 weeks .
    imbeing induced mainly because with a big baby last time he got stuck and it almost caused a serious problem for him and me . i also have to have meds in my iv for labor .
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 3:25 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Thanks for the replies. I figured, for the most part, it didn't mean anything. I'm having a homebirth so no induction for me. I have already done that route and won't ever do that again.
    zackaroosmom

Answer by zackaroosmom at 3:32 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Nope...I measured 6 weeks ahead ALL the time and he was born on 39 weeks exactly.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 5:34 PM on Apr. 20, 2009