My youngest son keeps talkin bout his dad but he has never seen or talked to him. Do i let him jus keep his imagination of his dad or what? Im not sure what is right on this situation. My son is only 3 years old.

TDsMomma

Asked by TDsMomma at 2:50 PM on Apr. 20, 2009 in General Parenting

• My son went thru this phase also and now at 11 he still has no contact with him. every once in a while when we're talking he'll ask questions about him. I am always polite about it never degrade his father because with out him i wouldn't have my son. And when the dreaded question comes up why did he leave me. I just say right now he's not ready to be a dad and he seems fine with that explanation. That way he doesn't feel like it's his fault that his dad left and it's not really negative about his dad. hope it helps
    originalzademom

Answer by originalzademom at 3:31 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• 3 is a really normal time for kids to start asking questions about absent parents. It means they are beoming more aware of the world around them. They hear others say Mommy and Daddy. He knows Mom but wonders where Dad is. Is his father totally out of the picture? If not show his picture and tell him this is Daddy. If he is out of the picture redirect him..tell him Daddy isn't here and move on to something else. As he gets a litttle older you will have to explain WHY he isn't there. Good Luck.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:55 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Is he in daycare? He probably sees other dads and is imagining he has one. I am sure he is curious. Can you find him a big brothers/big sisters program maybe?
    Anonymous

• Let him be, he is a little kid. My son did that too and I just let him talk. As he got older, we talked about his father, who until recently wasn't in his life for 13 years. No matter what everyone has a father, they just may not be in their lives.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 3:08 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I am my nephew's legal guardian, and I have no idea who his father is. My sister, his mom, may know.

Dustin does say "my dad" sometimes (he's 5) and I just let him. He sees dads at his daycare, and the kids there talk about dads. Some day I'll explain to him, and hope for the best.

But, something to keep in mind...if you ever have another man comes into their lives, I've told myself this in regards to my dad and stepdad, and to my nieces...a person can have a father, and a dad. The father gave them life, and a dad raises them.
    mommyaunt412

Answer by mommyaunt412 at 4:48 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• where did he even hear the word at 3? Kids that young have no concept of parents. They accept what they live as a normal family. Just don't reinforce the word and you shouldn't have to deal with it until he's older.

Answer by admckenzie at 5:31 PM on Apr. 20, 2009