Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My highly medicated hubby is a alcoholic> He got wasted this weekend at his mothers house. Should I let him go on a 8 day long trip with his brothers? for Christiaans only

He has a brain injury too to complicate this, what should I do ? His one brother drinks a lot!


Asked by Anonymous at 2:55 PM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

This question is closed.
Answers (4)
  • I think the question here is more along the lines of "can you really stop him from going"? You can make your feelings be very known, but if he REALLY wants to go, and he's not willing to respect you're wishes, then he's going to go regardless. Has he spoken to a doctor yet? Is he willing to follow doctors orders? If not, then you may just have to pray your way through this one and give it to God.

    Answer by jennijune_21 at 3:01 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

  • Well, my stepdad is a recovered alcoholic/drug addict. I say talk to your church about AA meetings or something you could do to help him, first off. He NEEDS help and NEEDS to realize that. I would personally NOT let him go on the trip, especially if he needs medication. No meds should be mixed with alcohol. If he is on narcotics, he should be taken off of them and given classes to manage pain along with non-narcotic meds. You need to have a sit down talk with him. I'm sure he knows the point of his drinking, and if it hurts you, which it should, you NEED to talk to him about it. Tell him how it makes you feel, and how it's ruining him. Pray about it all the time. Anytime you think about it, pray. Things will get better with time. Leave it in God's hands. Good luck and God bless. =]

    Answer by mommykayti at 3:00 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

  • is it the number of days or the brother that drinks you have a problem with him going or is cause you feel the need to punish him for getting wasted cause i can tell you know you can't treat you husband like a child. if it's the brother i'm afraid your hands are tied with this one too cause you can't tell him not to associate with family. if it's the number of days now that i would say you have some right to say you have a problem with but he is an adult and all you can do is express how you feel. sorry honey but a man needs to be accepted for who they are alcoholic or not you choose him. now i would wonder if you should stay in the same home with him. i would separate from him until he got himself sober. your enabling him and nothing but taking drastic course will make him change. he knows better i assume he is christian and has been taught good from bad he needs an incentive to change. only you can provide one for him.

    Answer by melody77 at 4:05 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

  • i say yes--maybe a "seed" will be planted so to speak :)

    Answer by jdmyangel at 7:10 PM on Apr. 20, 2009