For all moms that have WIC-nationwide-

I had a week appointment today and this is what it was explained to us the moms. Apparently Wic has been fighting for a couple of years with the government to be able to change the food selection that they provide to us. This is what they will change starting October:
1- For all moms that breastfeed, they will be given more food and milk than moms who formula feed
2- They will lower fat foods (milk, cheese, eggs). The whole milk will reduce to 1% or skim and the cheese and eggs will decrease in ammount given.
3-Only children from 1 year to I believe 2 or 3 years will be given whole milk, since they need that fat for their brain development. And finally
4- They will cut the juice completely and instead they will provide us with some cash value for us to buy fruit and vegetables at the grocery stores.
This is just some information that I thought you'll want to know and help you prepare for later.

Katherinep20

Asked by Katherinep20 at 2:55 PM on Apr. 20, 2009 in General Parenting

• that stinks, I get wic and like to have choices
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 2:58 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• My only problem with that is the mother's who breastfeed are getting more. Breastfeeding a child or not, a mother's health is important.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 3:00 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• i wish i could get wic we could use it big time . but they said we dont quailify for it . im hopeing breastfeeding goes better this time because of right now we cant affor dformula on top of everything else.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 3:07 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Here, starting in August, they are giving BFing moms baby foods, fresh fruits and veggies, as well as brown rice or WHole wheat bread. they are cutting back on formula and not giving them anything in addition to what they get now. I think it's great. FF moms already get enough funds since formula costs so much.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 3:09 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Yeah, I tottally forgot about the breds and rice. But I think it sucks that they will cut on food for FF moms. Just because we don't bf doesn't mean we don't need the food and that we don't wan't to eat healthier.
    Katherinep20

Answer by Katherinep20 at 3:22 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Formula is REALLY expensive-no offense, but they can't pay for it all. You should be happy that you get your formula paid for.
    Anonymous

• I never used it and would not complain about something I was getting for free.
    Anonymous

• I like this idea! I would rather get fresh produce than juice, I can buy a cheap bottle of store brand juice that has more in the bottle than comes in the little ones you get on WIC.

I BF for 9 mos before switching to FF for the last three. The amount of money we get for formula is alot and I wouldnt complain about not getting some stuff that BF moms are getting, they are saving the program alot of money. It also encourages more moms to try BF.
    MacyLiamRoan

Answer by MacyLiamRoan at 3:52 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• But what about the moms who want to bf but cant? its not fair that because they are for what ever reason not able to bf that they dont deserve the help of healthier foods- ok so yeah u get the formula but that means u cant be healthy.... sounds stupid to me...
    Anonymous

• I don't complain, but I've been getting wic since I was pregnant, and I also din't choose to not breastfeed, I just wasn't able to. That's why that part sucks. I don't complain about getting something and not pay for it. I think this program is great. But I just don't agree with that part
    Katherinep20

Answer by Katherinep20 at 4:24 PM on Apr. 20, 2009