Speaking of "fandom"

Does anyone else think some people put too much emphasis on celebrities being role models? The Oprah question got me thinking about this. I think that we should be our chidrens role models. Like the whole Chris B/Rihanna mess. While it was an ugly thing to happen, I didn't worry about it affecting my son because he doesn't put celebs on a pedestal. When he found out about it he said "I can't believe that happened." So we talked about it and he knows it's wrong to hit a woman. He was thinking more about the fact that a man hit a woman then the fact that it was a celeb. Or Miley Cyrus dating a 20 year old. I don't condone it but my nieces know better then to say "Well Miley does it why can't I?" My point is, when a celeb screws up, do you say "they're human, they messed up" and get on with it or do you think that celebs should act according to the publics standards?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:56 PM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I'd be telling my dd that when Miley Cyrus' mom adopted her (dd) THEN she can date a 20 yr old but as long as she's my dd then she won't be dating any adults until she too is an adult. I think the Chris Brown/Rh. thing has opened the eyes to a lot of young ppl and hope they recognize abuse is NOT love. So many young women think that getting smacked by a bf means they care about them. Where in the world do they come up with that stuff? Anyway, it brought abuse into the limelight and as long as something positive comes from celeb screw ups then I'm ok with it. Now I gotta go talk to Miley's mom and set her straight. WHAT is she thinking?

Answer by admckenzie at 3:14 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I am 21. So it wasn't long ago that I was a teen. I never really looked up to celebs. I know some girls do but thats normally because of a lack of parental figures in their lives. Like so many other things in life, the parents are supposed to be the frontrunners though they often aren't. I take solce in the fact that I know that my son, my nephews and other kids I know and am around all have a few decent adult figures to look up to. I think thats all we can do. Take care of our own and those around us.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 4:20 PM on Apr. 20, 2009