Does anyone have any experience or information about K-12 virtual schooling?

We are moving in June and our options for our kids schooling is limited. We are thinking of doing virtual school at home for our 6th grader and our 2nd grader and then sending the 10th grader to an expensive christian school. I can't afford for all 3 kids to attend there, but it would help my oldest have a better chance at getting into a good college. The other options for our other kids are homeschool with a different private cirriculum, small private christian school down the street (they don't offer highschool) or the virtual school, which is basically homeschooling with the public school cirriculum. Enrolling my kids in the local public school there in this county is not an option for us at this time. So I just need some information, experiences...ect.

momofsaee

Asked by momofsaee at 3:04 PM on Apr. 20, 2009 in General Parenting

• Personally, I would homeschool (because I homeschool, lol). It's cheaper and you have more control over what your kids learn. You can buy a prepackaged Christian curriculum, get one used, or mix and match different things. Homeschooled kids get into college just as easily as traditionally schooled kids.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 3:10 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• THanks renee...Its still homeschooling but you are basically just using public school cirriculum and you have access to an online teacher. I am okay with that, but I do want to make sure they understand that I am the ultimate say in whats going on. Thats the only issue I have. I guess its still public school and the mediocrity of it is whats concerning me. I am probably not going to homeschool my highschool. Just because of her personality. The christian school is the most expensive in the county though...that makes me nervous.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 3:15 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Check out Conenctions Academy. It is considered public school and free.
    EiEiO

Answer by EiEiO at 3:17 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I personally would homeschool. thats what I am doing and hope to do when they are school age. There is just so much more freedom homeschooling... the sky is the limit!
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 3:21 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• K-12 virtual schooling is free, just contact them. They will answer any questions you have.

Anonymous

• Thanks a bunch ladies!!
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 4:04 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• No advice, jsut want to wish you good luck!
    rosesNclovers

Answer by rosesNclovers at 4:17 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Just enrolled my child in the k12 virtual schooling I we wont be doing it till next school yr but I know someone who uses it and they love it so thats why Im going with that next yr
    mscamp0235

Answer by mscamp0235 at 5:26 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I was an enter button away from enrolling my kids in that this year. I did not because I feel that they will be repeating stuff we already covered and they are learning at way higher levels the way we do it now.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 5:31 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I would create a post asking this in the Happy Homeschoolers group. I know there are those doing virtual education with the K-12 program when homeschooling in the group.
    Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 7:48 PM on Apr. 20, 2009