• In the Spotlight:

6 week old eating every hour.

My 6 week old has been eating every hour to two hours for the past week. She is still waking up all night every 1.5-2 hrs. It's driving me crazy! She is breastfed and refuses a pacifier. What to do? I think it's a growth spurt, but doesn't that only last a week max? We're up on a week now.

danielp

Asked by danielp at 3:05 PM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I had the same problem with boy my boys. I wasn't making enough milk. I had to supplement the breast with formula. You should call your pediatrician.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 3:07 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Welcome to the 6 week growth spurt. It could last a while. But it WILL go away. I promise. Have you started any B/C or anything? Back to work? Just keep nursing her, and try to remember that this is such a short time in their life(and yours). It will pass.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 3:08 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Sounds to me like a growth spurt, although going for a week like that is kinda long. Can you tell if you are producing a good amount of milk?
    jreneei

Answer by jreneei at 3:08 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• As for the milk production, as long as she's having 6-8 wet dipes a day(24 hours) you're doing GREAT. Diapers are all that matter.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 3:10 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Growth spurt! Ya never know when they are going to hit or how long, lol. don't suppliment formula because that will only hurt your supply. Be sure you feed on one breast completely, then when he seems full, try to get him to nurse on the other breast.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 3:10 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• i dont think there is much you can do except pump and let someone els wake up to feed a couple times so you can get some sleep. i was exactly like that for a long time. my mother always tells me "i wonder what youd be like if i didnt nurse you every hour and a half." are you leaving your baby on long enough, like keeping her awake to fininsh the meal?
    trelyn

Answer by trelyn at 3:11 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Some good info on this at the La Leche League site at http://www.llli.org/FAQ/frequency.html

Sometimes frequent feeding is because baby is getting too much foremilk and not enough hindmilk. Make sure you are letting her nurse for as long as she likes on the first bresat, and don't switch to the 2nd breast at a certain time.  You want her to get lots of the fatty hindmilk at the end of the feeding to satisfy her.  See Finish the First Breast First

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 3:14 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Go with it, keep nursing her, dont give bottles, she's too young and they'll confuse her latch. If you'd like to get more sleep, co-sleep and nurse in the side-lying position so you both can sleep all night and she can nurse as she pleases.
    Anonymous

• This is really normal at this age. I know it is horrible for us adults but really it will be over soon. Don't give up and keep up with the nursing. As long as you have 6-8 wet diapers a day its not a supply issue.
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 3:15 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• This is totally normal behavior for a 6 week old.
    Try contacting your local La Leche League for help and support. :)
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 3:21 PM on Apr. 20, 2009