How do you feel about the statement "respect your elders?"

As a general rule, I respect everyone unless they show me they don't deserve any. Just recently MIL told people my DH was on drugs because he told her he didn't like the way she talked to him or to me for the last 10 years. He doesn't want to deal with her til she stops her crap. The other day, DH's uncle came by and was telling him he needed to respect his elders. That ticked him off, because his uncle didn't know anything about what went on. To me, that statement means to not go out of your way to be rude, which I don't. I'm not, however, going to stand there and smile while someone talks down to me or disrespects me just because they are old. So when someone says to respect your elders, what does that mean to you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:08 PM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Well, what it generally means is that you have respect for people who are older and wiser than you. But it doesnt mean that you allow people to disrespect you and mistreat you and its certainly not a line for them to use against you. I think that if you are being treated poorly from ANYONE, you simply remove yourself from their presence and you ignore what they are saying. You don't have to entertain people who arent going to show you respect.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 3:12 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• It means to not be an ass. It means that even though we might think they are old fashioned or whatnot they went through the same stuff we do and if we took a few minutes to listen instead of thinking they are overly opinionated we might actually learn something. In fact, I trust my parents as parents more than I trust myself!
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 3:11 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• It also means that if you live with them because you don't have cash then you definitely have to be respectful!
    Anonymous

• I totally agree in your case! My mom is the same way! In fact my mom tried to break my DH and me up and still is!! I have nothing to do with my mom. (there's more to the story)
    mominbolt

Answer by mominbolt at 3:13 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Nothing. I think if someone wants respect, they need to earn it, just like I earn mine. I am not going to sit there and be disrespected and looked down upon, only to return respect.
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 3:14 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• some people dont deserve respect. if you want respect, give respect. sure they are older, but if they try to belittle you, then that elder thing is out the window. dont let ppl treat you that way.
    trelyn

Answer by trelyn at 3:25 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I agree with the first answer. Some people are just rude and don't want to talk or listen to elders. I think some elderly people have the funniest stories! BUT I wouldn't allow anyone to use that line against me, either. If they are rude, then call them on it. Its not okay for anyone to be rude, no matter what age they are.
    kbates1208

Answer by kbates1208 at 3:26 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I only respect those who give it. My MIL is the nicest person in the world and she shows me respect as the mother of her grandchildren. My FIL however is a different story. He acts like just because he is older, we should do everything he says but it's hard to have respect for a man who acts like a jerk and buys alcohol for his teenage sons.
    Anonymous

• I think its a good "rule of thumb".
    The first poster said it very well.

Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 3:45 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• It annoys me. I don't respect anyone unless they deserve it.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 3:52 PM on Apr. 20, 2009