constipation

even while drinking juice my son gets constipated all the time, what can i do?

TatymMommi

Asked by TatymMommi at 3:31 PM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my doc had my daughter on 1 teaspoon of dark caro syrup per 2 oz of milk for her first year cause without it she would not poop also she wouldnt go if I skipped even 1 bottle with it. I stopped giving it to her around her first b-day and used apple juice when she couldnt go on her own. She quit needing that even within a month or so now it is only once every couple months (she is 2 now)
    heather.darin

Answer by heather.darin at 3:42 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• How old? Breast or formula fed? Solids?

LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 4:06 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• He is 8 months old, he is on formula and some solids.
    TatymMommi

Answer by TatymMommi at 4:29 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• What are his symptoms?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:04 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Maybe try prunes (baby food). If he is on rice cereal, switch to oatmeal or barley. Rice is more binding. Cut down on the bananas if he eats them. My son went through constipation as an infant, not fun! We ended up playing the formula game. We finally settled on Nestle Good Start & he's been fine since. If he has been fine up till now i would guess that it is something solid that is binding him.
    Amy82

Answer by Amy82 at 5:31 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Try to get him to drink water instead of juice, or water the juice down more. Water is the great bowel mover, and the pureed prunes really do work, almost too well:)
    Anonymous

• karo syrup is not recommended! it can cause dehydration! instead dilute the juice! one ounce of juice to 2 ounces of water. in order to keep my daughter hydrated a few days ago i made a frozen can of apple juice normally, one can of juice to three cans of water per instructions, then from that i used one ounce of the made juice and added three ounces to that. just use unsweetened juice.

F43L34

Answer by F43L34 at 11:44 PM on Apr. 20, 2009