funeral and viewing

Is it ok to take a 5 month old to her grandmas funeral and viewing?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:49 PM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Relationships

• i would try to find a sitter, however considering the fact that it is a family event i'm guessing you don't know of someone to watch her in that case. i think its important for you to go if you want to, i would take my child, however i would make sure that i sit in the back ready to step outside (all the way outside not just in the hall) if she starts to get fussy. people are there to pay their respects and do not need to hear a baby crying. that may just upset them more, or just bring more to home the fact that your daughters grandmother is not going to see her grow up.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 3:52 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I think it's a personal choice. We didn't take our son when my husband's grandfather died. We were incredibly close and everyone knew it. So we had a ton of people wanting to come talk to us and tell us how wonderful he was. It would have been impossible to take care of a toddler with everything going on. If you feel you can juggle it and she can be quiet, then go for it. But I think if you can find someone to watch her, it might be best.
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 3:52 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I think this is up to you. In my family, along with our culture and beliefs, we don't take the babies to the house that the body is in and they don't go into the cemetaries. But that's just our beliefs so it's completely up to you, just make sure you're ready to take her outside should she start crying or fussing.
    Anonymous

• ya I wont have a sitter at all! My gram just loved her too. I wish I had a sitter but I dont. We just found out she passed away today
    Anonymous

• yes=]
    kylesboo

Answer by kylesboo at 4:28 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• sry for your loss;
    kylesboo

• I think at 5 months old, she won't be old enough to really comprehend any of it and as long as you think she wouldn't be really distracting during the service, I don't think it would be terrible to take her to the funeral. When my BFF's cousin died, I had to bring along a 10 month old to the funeral. I never took her near the body or anything though.

My kids are older now (the oldest is 4) and when my aunt recently passed away, I did not take them to the viewing or funeral. The oldest is old enough to be reallly freaked out and confused by it.
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 4:29 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Why not? A 5 month old won't know what' going on. But if you think it will be too difficult, find a sitter.
    Buffie95

Answer by Buffie95 at 4:47 PM on Apr. 20, 2009