Why do Christians believe that only their book is the truth?

Most Christians wont even pick up another religious book. Why is that? Just reading the bible makes me ask so many questions, there are so many loop holes. One thing i love about eastern philosophies is that they encourage folks to ask questions, & to doubt what they read because it helps them find answeres within themselves rather than blindly believe in an old over translated book.... I like that your "allowed" to question even your own religion in hinduism, it helps people seek the knowledge they are looking for.

I do believe in parts of the bible, I believe Jesus was the massiah, & that he died for our sins. But i honestly believe it has been over translated to suit what people WANT to believe.

samurai_chica

Asked by samurai_chica at 3:50 PM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't personally accept the bible as my ONLY text. I believe there are so many more out there that can, and should, apply to our faith as it brings historical context to what we read as the bible, or new insight. I have read the Torah, the Koran (sp?) and the bible, as well as the Apocrypha, the Book of Mormon (thanks to my Mormon brother, LOL) and am now studying the Gnostic writings. I also believe in reading more than one version of the bible - I have four that I read and compare to each other all the time! I believe that the more you read, the more you learn, and it has strengthened my personal relationship with Christ because of it.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 3:58 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I don't.
    Anonymous

• Because they are brainwashed.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:52 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Well I think its the same reason you believe what you believe. You've searched and questioned and you find what you belive to be true.
    don't assume that a Christians belief is blind. I have been taught, doubted, searched, experienced and believed just as many others have in their faith. It is my experiences, 100% prayers answered and relationship with God that makes it undeniable to me.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 3:53 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Because the Christian bible is the closest to the original bible, everyone who translated the book had trouble because it was written in Hebrew and they abbreviated their words so it was really hard to figure out what word was what. And the Christians were the ones that came the closest to the original bible. I'm not stating that it's right or wrong, I'm just stating a fact that it's considered the most original.
    Anonymous

• its not though! the bible was very edited to fit the vatican's agenda! we dont know what it really said. i believe in God and Jesus Christ His son but i dont treat the new testament as law, only the 10 commandments
    Anonymous

• let me say, i don't believe that All Christians are this way (just the ones that i work with...lol) no kidding (not really)....there are a lot of closed minded Christians out there. This goes to all of those.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 3:56 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

don't assume that a Christians belief is blind. I have been taught, doubted, searched, experienced and believed just as many others have in their faith. It is my experiences, 100% prayers answered and relationship with God that makes it undeniable to me

then this question is not for you. This question is for folks who refuse to pick up another book & do a lil research.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 3:58 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• i believe in both the book of mormon cause christ visited his other children not just those in Egypt and i also believe in the bible. i don't know of other books that anyone should be following. i would agree the bible has been over translated but the book of mormon has remained the same and we use the bible that closely relates to it. the king james version. the bible speaks of other doctrine which we believe to be the book of mormon. i can look of the versus that say so if you wanted to know.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 3:58 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Answered at 2:56 PM on Apr. 20, 2009 by: samurai_chica
    let me say, i don't believe that All Christians are this way (just the ones that i work with...lol) no kidding (not really)....there are a lot of closed minded Christians out there. This goes to all of those.
    **

And thanks for saying that, BTW, you're one of the few that recognize that fact. :-)
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 3:59 PM on Apr. 20, 2009