Roomate Question - Kinda long...

On the first I moved in to a two bedroom apartment with a couple who has two kids. I pay 650 a month to rent a room. I know this is half of the rent. On Sunday I asked the husband If he minded if I watched TV in the living room when they are not home. In a very nasty tone with hand gestures he saidDO not touch ANY of my stuff, This is MY living room and that is YOUR room. I am really upset because it never occured to me to ask if we could use the living room before i moved in. I am in no way upset that we cannot watch their TV. I feel he made it clear that we have no use of the living room at all, which with a 6 yo and a 6month old is going to be hard. I am really upset by all of this. I have had other people live with me before and have always shared everything. Am i justified in being a little irked ? Should I move in to a more family friendly house ? BTW they have two kids ages 5 yo and 11 months. any input would be nice

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:52 PM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Home & Garden

• You are paying half the rent when there are 4 of them? No way. Give them a month notice and move.

Anonymous

• MOVE OUT it seems like they are just going to be a problem for you. Keep in mind you are doing them a favor by moving in. If you are paying for half the rent you are entilted to half the whole house lol. But if i were you i would move out asap so you can get out before things get worse.
    Jessi101088

Answer by Jessi101088 at 3:55 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• i think that is something that should have been stipulated by them before you moved in. i would sit down and ask them what they want the "rules" to be. explain that you have a 6 yr old and its going to be kind of hard to confine him to one room. so ask what their boundaries are and see if they are willing to compromise, otherwise i'd be gone. you can't be expected to sit in one room forever with two kids. thats just ridiculus. maybe if you paid a portion of the other bills as well? elec, water, cable etc...if all you are paying is half the rent maybe he feels that all you get is a room b/c you aren't contributing anything else?
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 3:56 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• yeah after you sit down negotiate your rent. it should be split 5 ways. same with the other bills.

Anonymous

• your paying HALF the rent, therefore HALF the house is YOURS. thats bull. i would move. DEFINITELY!!! =]
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 3:58 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I am the original poster ....The 650 was supposed to be for utilities included. The aprtment is really small and all was asking for was when they are not home. I can also tell they are uncomfortable when I cook a real meal. This is the only problem I have had.
    Anonymous

• Yeah, I'd say move out. There is no reason for you to pay half the rent of the entire apartment to just have use of your room. What a dick. Give notice and move out. Ask more questions next time.
    Buffie95

Answer by Buffie95 at 10:35 PM on Apr. 20, 2009