All Faith Discussion: Are you a pacafist? (Non-Christians don't have to read the verse, LOL)

Matthew 18:21-22
21Then came Peter to him, and said, Lord, how oft shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? till seven times? 22Jesus saith unto him, I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but, Until seventy times seven.

Jesus is teaching here that we should forgive and forget when someone wrongs us. This, by definition, is being a pacifist. Do you consider yourself a pacifist? What is your definition of the word?

Christians: Do you live by this creed? Do you believe in being a pacifist ALWAYS or just SOMETIMES?

Non-Christians: What are your views? Many religions besides Christianity, such as Buddhism, teach this core value as well, while others, such as Satanism, teach against it. Do you apply this lesson to your own life?

jennijune_21

Asked by jennijune_21 at 3:54 PM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Honestly I do forgive but to forget is the hard part for me...but I do try.
    Anonymous

• No. I practice non-violence in my life (I don't even kill bugs if it is avoidable) but I am not a pacifist. The terms are often used interchangeably but they aren't the same concept. I believe violence is in deed as well as in word or intent - coercion and oppression are violent, IMO, even if they are achieved through nonphysical means or other ways of manipulation.

And on this same note, not all Buddhists are pacifists, although they all believe in nonviolence.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 3:58 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I am to a point, but, I cannot withhhold the seventy-times-seven business.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:59 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• While I strive every day to be a good person and practice forgive and forget, it can be very hard to do. And, while I feel in general that pacifism is a good thing, I also know myself well enough that in certain cases, I would gladly turn my back on pacifism and take comfort and joy in revenge. (This would be in anything bad happening to my children, family,etc)
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 3:59 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I think you have to take into consideration all of God's wishes because he says to obey the law of the land so if you do wrong you get punished, you may be forgiven but you still have to do your time. In order for you to make something of this you have to know the whole bible or at least everything before this versue. I see it as if God can forgive then so can I, but we already know God only forgives when you repent and truly mean it, so when they truly mean they didn't mean to do it then thats when they are forgiven by me. I don't really pass judgement on anyone because it's not my place, when they die they have to deal with God not me, so....
    VasquezFamily

Answer by VasquezFamily at 4:02 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• UGH- SO hard to answer that one!!! Good question! I try SO hard- but there are certain things that I find very hard to forgive- especially with people close to me ........ I WISH I could be totally forgiving! I find it is hardest with my mother and her weekly suicide attempts or her constant hyprochondira- it is hard with my sister and her life choices that put her children in danger, BUT I have been learning that even though I INSTANTLY get frusterated, I can just step back (not say anything mean) and breather, and pray and eventually it will get better- at least until I talk to them again! :)
    jessicasea

Answer by jessicasea at 4:05 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Here's a second part to the question:

Which is harder? The forgiving or the forgetting? Do you think to truly forgive you HAVE to forget?
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 4:07 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I think to truly forgive you HAVE to forget because I forgave my husband for the stupid things he did 3 years ago but I can't forget it and sometimes it comes up in arguments, so I know I haven't truly forgiven him or else it wouldn't come up. But is it truly possible to FORGET?! Because I can't forget anything that is HUGE!! Anyone else have this problem?!
    VasquezFamily

Answer by VasquezFamily at 4:11 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Answered at 3:11 PM on Apr. 20, 2009 by: VasquezFamily
    I think to truly forgive you HAVE to forget because I forgave my husband for the stupid things he did 3 years ago but I can't forget it and sometimes it comes up in arguments, so I know I haven't truly forgiven him or else it wouldn't come up. But is it truly possible to FORGET?! Because I can't forget anything that is HUGE!! Anyone else have this problem?!
    **

Yes I do. I've held on to something my brother did to me for well over 20 years. That's one of the reasons I asked this question - for some insight on HOW to truly forget.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 4:12 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Depends on the circumstance. I am not violent at all, I've never even punched someone, even as a kid. It takes a LOT to piss me off enough to get in a verbal fight with someone. But if it was something serious, and it was obviously done out of malice and not accident or misunderstanding, then I probably would not forgive. If someone keeps doing something over and over, then I won't follow "turn the other cheek" either.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 4:16 PM on Apr. 20, 2009