How 2 stop headlice

My childern keep gettin head lice.We tried evrything un the books 2 get rid of it.My daughters hair is really long and my son we can just shave but we dont want 2 do that.Does anyone have anything 2 help.

ProudMommy1998

Asked by ProudMommy1998 at 3:59 PM on Apr. 20, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I hate the dang things!!

Try everything everyone already said, but use tea tree oil instead of shampoo's. Quite a few years ago my kids had it, it took over a year to get rid of..it was horrible. I tried medicated shampoo's, prescription shampoo's you name it...NOTHING worked! Then my mom sent me the tea tree oil, I put it on thier heads and placed a bag over it, then I sent them outside in the sun for an hour, brought them in washed and combed it. I did it twice the first week , once a week for two weeks and once a month for 2 months...might have been over kill but I was done with the little buggers and they are so much more resistant. Good luck!!!
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 4:37 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• You may think I'm crazy but I swear by using T-gel medicated shampoo, it is so hard anymore getting rid of it.

Anonymous

• use the lice shampoo and take out everything from their room..clean the whole house from top to bottom...then have them bring their stuff back into the room slowly and cleaning everything throughly. I live in Alaska and my sisters foster child had lice...they took everything outside (it was way cold then) and the lice doesnt like the cold. They brought everything in and she hasnt had lice since.
    Anonymous

• First wash everything in the place from the bedding to the couches then use the medication to get rid of it. Then put grease (like what black people use to keep their head moist) and that will keep them away. They don't like grease, do this for about a week and they should be good and not get lice anymore. Hopefully it works.
    Anonymous

• put vinager in the bath water once a week.. you can clean all dang day but unless you bomb, spray, shave heads, check EVERYNIGHT.. you are out of luck..
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 4:07 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Last summer, I swear my kids lived with the crap! It was horrible and we tried everything too. What finally worked was buzzing my son's hair really really short (we all cried) and picking through his scalp with my fingernails. We cut my daughter's hair to chin-length (which, again, made us cry). I bought the metal lice combs, which worked better than the plastic ones. We gave up on all the chemicals and went with a homeopathic treatment - Hellman's real mayonaise. You put it in their hair, leave it on with a shower cap over it for two hours and then wash out. It's nasty, but it worked. I still had to pick out nits with my fingernails, but they slid out easier. It was tedious. Good luck to you! BTW, my kids are crazy careful now about not wearing another child's coat/jacket/scarf, trying on hats at the store, using their own combs/brushes, etc. Also, spray their mattresses, let it dry and flip them. Wash all bedding, etc.
    sparrowprincess

Answer by sparrowprincess at 4:09 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• The key is to stop reinfecting yourself.

The only thing is that you have to clean your house like a fiend! Of course you have to use the shampoo and pick the nits off too.
    Bag up all of their toys. Anything that isn't a smooth surface should be put in a trash bag for at least two weeks after you find the last nit. People often keep getting reinfected because the lice are in their house and they think it is gone but it isn't.
    We had it one time and we wore shower caps on our heads to keep from spreading it to each other. That worked really well.
    I washed the sheets everyday. Vacuumed the entire house, couches, chairs, beds, pillows twice a day. I kept a sheet on the couch so that if anyone sat on it I put a new sheet on. My son had one stuffed animal he couldn't sleep without so we put it in the dryer twice a day for 30 minutes.
    You have to be vigilant.
    We completely got rid of it in ten days.
    BE VIGILANT!
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 4:11 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Oh yeah, and we bought the giant ziploc bags to store all their non-washable stuffed animals in (we kept them sealed for a month); several, we just got rid of. Of course there is the vacuuming, etc. I really do feel your pain. I hope you have let their school know. They should do a lice check on the other kids. If anybody else has it, it will keep spreading and eventually get back around to your kids again, so it's best that they know about it and can stop it in its tracks.
    sparrowprincess

Answer by sparrowprincess at 4:12 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• If it is gone for awhile and you get it again maybe they are picking it up at school or from a friend or playmate. Pay attention to kids that your kids are around.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 4:14 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Oh and check yourself and your dh...people tend to think it is a childhood affliction but adults can have and spread it too.

Damn just from reading your question I now have an itchy head. UGH!
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 4:16 PM on Apr. 20, 2009