Did you or would you buy your teen a car?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:02 PM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• I have told my son for a number of years that we will match what money he has for a used car, we remind him of this when he receives money since he was about 12 he is now 16 will be getting his permit soon and has a whole whopping $11.00 saved in his "car fund"! So when he gets some money saved we will match it so we will be buying 1/2 his car.

goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 8:48 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• nope. when he is old enough he will get a job and buy his own car just like every one else in our family has.
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 4:03 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• dnt do it its gonna be trouble if they dnt buy it therself
    lanlan

Answer by lanlan at 4:07 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Yes ,I did both of my daughters,but with stipulations,grades had to stay up,they keep a part time job,keep their gas in them,and after graduation have to go to college,but they did'nt get a car until 17.
    Val504

Answer by Val504 at 4:07 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Really guys? What kind of teens do you have, lol?!
    My parents bought me a car at 16 and I took very good care of it. They paid the insurance for many years and helped me out when I had major repairs to pay for. I love my parents for that!!
    My DH had it opposite and because of that it took him alot longer to gain his manhood and independence. I recommend buying a dependable USED car for a teenager.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 4:09 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• YES I would! BUT grades MUST stay up! He will not have to pay for gas or insurance because I don't want him working during the school year.
    jessicasea

Answer by jessicasea at 4:12 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• If I did, it would be used. His grades would have to be near perfect and at the first sign of trouble, it would be taken away. But I think I would only do it if he had an after school job so he can pay for his own gas and keep up the maintenence. I don't think they need parents to but them a car to gain their "manhood" They get that by working hard to get what they want. My SO's first car, he bought by himself by working and paying for it and I hope he passes that thinking onto our boys.
    Anonymous

• Also in my school alot of the teens with cars were the most active and responsible. They stayed after school for organizations and sports. They got to school early for the same things. They were active because they had the freedom of getting places whenever they needed to. I don't know, maybe that was just the crowd of people I was around.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 4:16 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I don't see how grades play a role in this. I expected my son to behave himself in public with or without getting a toy and I expect him to get good grades. no bribes. I expect him to get a job and I expect him to buy his own car (I may help out a little with buying it and insuring it, but not by much).
    Anonymous

• I will buy my kids their first car, i think, but if it gets wrecked or anything it's their problem.
    Anonymous