is my 14 yro daughter too old to suck her thumb?

my daughter is 14, and still sucks her thumb. She sucks it in the car, at home, at school, and with her boyfriend. is she too old to be sucking her thumb at this age? i need a anwer quick plz.

ilovemykids111

Asked by ilovemykids111 at 4:13 PM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• I'm 26 nearly 27 and suck my thumb. I only do it when I'm bored/tired now, but when I was younger I did it all of the time. As long as she doesn't have a problem with it and doesn't feel embarrassed about it, I wouldn't worry about it. My parents used to give me a hard time and always said that it was bad and people would make fun of me, and that never happened. My friends and classmates just new that was me and didn't care.
    AnnHenderson

Answer by AnnHenderson at 4:18 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Sorry but yes, that's too old. It can ruin your teeth too.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 5:16 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• It is too old. But if she wants to do it then she will. My friend is 19 and still does it. I accepted it long ago. I consider it a trait now.
    mum-to-be-at-18

Answer by mum-to-be-at-18 at 5:39 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Tell her that her boyfriend won't want to kiss her if her teeth are protruding from sucking on her thumb.

Answer by admckenzie at 6:25 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• 14 months is too old to suck a thumb. Your daughter has a serious reason why she needs to self-sooth. Please, please, please get her some therapy

Answer by rkoloms at 6:55 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• She doesn't need therapy, and she might not have messed up teeth. LIke is said earlier I've sucked my thumb for my entire 26 years of life and have nearly perfect teeth!!
    AnnHenderson

Answer by AnnHenderson at 7:43 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I have sucked my thumb my entire life and I am 37, my teeth are perfectly straight. She doesn't need therapy, as long as she is happy who cares if she sucks her thumb. It is obvious that it doesn't bother her or her friends. Leave her be. Think of it this way, she could be doing a lot worse than she is, she could be drinking, doing drugs or having sex. She doesn't need therapy, she just needs to be left alone about it. You could talk to her about why she sucks her thumb.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:35 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• by all means yes when was little i had a brother now a husband and father he 2 sucked his thumb where he had to have braces sucking a thumb is hard on teeth
    giggles0106

Answer by giggles0106 at 3:10 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• My friends daughter teeth are ruined because she continued to suck her thumb past the age of 5
    Yellowrose9

Answer by Yellowrose9 at 9:32 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• OMG YES why would she still be doing that and why do you think this might be OK?!?!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:58 AM on Apr. 21, 2009