was i wrong?

Okay. So I'm 18 and pregnant with my first baby. I have two cousins, same ages that both just had babies. One dropped out of school and basically, not to be mean...she just sits at home all day. Doesn't work, doesn't do anything.

Well today I was texting my cousin and told her i had a horrible day (I have a uti, sinus infection and I've been puking plus i was at school all day) and I told her that I had a lot of homework and that school sucks. and she said "yeah that's why I'm glad I'm not in school anymore" and I said "i'm glad I am tho" and she asked why and ALL I SAID was "Because I'm working hard to get my education and I'm proud of my grades" I've never said anything to her about her education and didn't mean anything by it and then she FREAKED OUT. She cussed me out and told me I was a brat and thought I was better than her and that everything is about me. It hurt...I've done nothing but help her.

Was I wrong?

javila

Asked by javila at 4:21 PM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Relationships

• no- it sounds like she is jealous- PLUS she is probably going through some post pregnancy hormone changes- GOOD FOR YOU - keep going to school! You CAN DO IT!!!
    jessicasea

Answer by jessicasea at 4:22 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I agree. I think she is just jealous. Maybe she really does regret dropping out or something. Keep up the good work and good luck!
    beingamomrocks1

Answer by beingamomrocks1 at 4:25 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• No, you were not wrong. I encourage you to go to college too make the most of yourself and your ambition. Good luck. You are deffinately on the right path in life.
    Anonymous

• I also think she regrets dropping out. Plus the hormones raging! And right now, you did make the better choice by staying in school. Keep up with it and good luck!
    Anonymous

• you stick to your guns about education. You are great. You will go far. She will regret her decision

Answer by admckenzie at 4:32 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Nope, not at all. Just because your knucklehead cousin made bad decisions doens't mean you should. And you shouldn't feel guilty about it, either. I think you will find more support here, from other moms. Try to ignore what she said. And honestly, you probably are better then her anyway. I say good for you. You should stay in school, it's hard to go back. It's hard enough going back to college after having kids. Stick with it, and you will do great!
    Buffie95

Answer by Buffie95 at 4:36 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Nope you was not wrong...your cousin's feelings are hurt and she's a bit jealous of your decision to stay in school. Maybe she didn't have the option of staying in school.

Remember that you will come across a lot of haters in your life, ignore them and do what you need to do to have your life where you want it...
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 4:43 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• deep down she feels like crap for "not going anywhere". I am sure she is aware of the stereotypes of teen mothers that don't have (or strive) for an Education!
    Anonymous

• I think she just took it wrong. You said you were texting, right? That's just like on here, you can't really always tell how someone means something. I mean, I could sit here and type "Maybe she should go back to school" intending it as a helpful suggestion, with the best of intentions, and you could take it as me being a complete bitch. You can't tell how it's meant. I think that's all that happened - you didn't mean anything bad or insulting by what you said, but she read it and took it the wrong way. Don't worry about it.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 5:13 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• You're making the right choices, do NOT second guess yourself. Be glad that you have a good head on your shoulders, and instead of dropping out, you have decided to finish up school and that is the best thing for you and your child... Never let anyone tell you otherwise!! Your cousin is jealous and that is why she took what you texted the wrong way. I hope that you continue to finish up school, and maybe go on to college. Good Luck girl. Pregnant in school is definitely no easy task, I've watched MANY girls struggle with that issue... BEST WISHES!
    pamelajqs

Answer by pamelajqs at 7:10 PM on Apr. 20, 2009