Do I really need to wait a couple of years before I can get my tubes tied?

I want to do it because I have 3 kids and I know I'm done but my friend told me my doctor will probably make me wait a couple more years before they do it since it's permanent. I'm going to make an appoinment anyway to see what they tell me but has anyone ever heard of this? If they say anything like that to me, I'm going to tell them "Hello! I have 3 I think I would know when I'm done!" BTW i'm about to turn 27.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:36 PM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I HAD MY DONE THE SAME DAY I GAVE BIRTH TO MY DAUGHTER
    COOKY81

Answer by COOKY81 at 4:37 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Since you are 27 and already have 3 then I doubt they will make you wait. The only time I have heard them making people wait is if they were under 25 and/or only had one child. I will be 26 when this baby is born and its my 3rd. My dr and I have already talked about it, and he said there would be no problem. I would ask your dr.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 4:40 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I have a friend who didn' t have to wait. She's like 23 with 2 kids.
    NicMorgan

Answer by NicMorgan at 4:42 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I don't think they should make anyone wait. Its their choice. The cheap clinic I went to asked me if I wanted to get mine tied when I was 22! I asked why so soon and they said because they had the funding at that time. I said no, because I wasn't ready. I'm 28 now and having my third in July. I will be getting mine tied as part of the c-section.
    kbates1208

Answer by kbates1208 at 4:46 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• No. They consider age, but you aren't too young. I got mine done 6 months after my 3rd baby. I was 26, and they didn't try to change my mind.
    Buffie95

Answer by Buffie95 at 4:58 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I got mine done when I had my second son, and I was 24. They never said anything about waiting or age or anything to me. I know some areas have that you have to X age and have X kids, to kind of be sure that they won't change their mind or whatever, but I can't see how that would apply to you.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 5:09 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• That doesn't sound right! If you want it done, they will usually want to do it while you're in the hospital, especially if you have a c-section.

If you do find you "have" to wait for some stupid reason...I'm just going to mention that it is much easier for a man to get a vasectomy.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:27 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• They let people tie them younger than they used to. Ask your doctor not your friend.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 7:20 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• nope you should be able to you have 2 be 25 in ny stat to have 1 and talk to your doctor before you go to have the baby they do it right after you have the baby so you dont have to go back
    tired703

Answer by tired703 at 9:09 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• My DH is getting a vasectomy before I even have my second. He didn't even need my permission. I see no reason that you should have to wait. DH is 27.
    mlregalado

Answer by mlregalado at 12:08 AM on Apr. 21, 2009