Babies and TV?

So my LO is almost 10 months now,(boy I can't believe that) anyways I was just wondering do any of you moms let your babies watch TV and if so how much? My baby watches 2-3 epsiodes of Mickey every day. She loves it so much!!! She dances and tries to talk to the TV!

melk819

Asked by melk819 at 4:37 PM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• A lot of people may judge but my son has learned so much from the sprout channel I don't care how much he watches. He's 23 months and he points at the sky and says "sky" and I never knew he knew, he knows what the moon is, he knows every body part he knows what a choo choo train is, birds, dogs, trees, ball, car, truck, a book, the numbers 1-4, he knows who ME is theres a lot more. But the sprout channel is educational so it doesn't bother me. I use to turn it off after 3 shows but since he's learning so much I watch with him and he dances and tells me what things are, so I'm ok with it. My daughter is 10 months and she plays with toys and only looks at the TV when she hears music. But anyways, it doesn't bother me.
    Anonymous

• Read the latest study: Study: Want a smart baby? TV's not going to help at http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/03/03/babies.watch.TV/index.html
    "Contrary to parents' perceptions that TV viewing is beneficial to their children's brain development, we found no evidence of cognitive benefit from watching TV during the first two years of life," the authors wrote.
    "Educational DVD and videos geared towards enriching babies and toddlers...which proclaim to "encourage discovery and inspire," have no benefits, researchers said...Infants who watched the videos understood fewer words than those who did not watch them."
    ""At the very best, they steal time from much more productive cognitive developmental activities,"
    "The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends no screen media for children under the age of 2 years.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 5:33 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I'm not a big fan of children watching t.v. period. My dd is 10 months as well and she wont watch it, mainly because she is not use to it. My MIL tries to get her to watch t.v. (IDKwhy), but she refuses, she would rather play and explore which is what kids, expecially babies should be doing. Educational t.v. is better than cartoons, but they still need activity rather than their eyes peeled to the screen!!!!
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 5:33 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I let my DD watch about an hour of it, which started when she was about 10 months old. She'd wake up in her crib, and I'd turn on sesame street and big tree house for her. She loves that.. She's 15 months old now. She also LOVES Shriek.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 6:12 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I keep the TV on noggin most the day but my son doesnt just sit and watch it... Now when there is music on he will watch it.. But other then that it's just noise to him more then anything.. I just do it because then I know for sure he's not going to hear anything that he shouldnt there for he wont say it later
    TristansMommy16

Answer by TristansMommy16 at 6:33 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• We did not allow any TV until our daugher was 2.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:22 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• my baby loves tv..anything with music,she loves the wiggles and mickey and pooh.she is 10months,i leave her tv on in her room but she is always doing somethng else
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 7:35 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• The WHO recommends no TV for children under age two, and after age two a maximum of 1-2 hours a day. Studies have shown that children under age two have no benefit from watching TV, and if anything it delays their development. Studies have also shown that babies and children who watch too much TV are at a higher risk for obesity.

So no, my daughter doesnt watch TV. Instead we read books, sing songs, go for walks, play with toys, listen to music and other fun activities.
    kate_jocelyn

Answer by kate_jocelyn at 7:46 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I'm surprised to hear that some moms think it is okay to leave the TV on in the background for most of the day. Here is some information that you must not have, or you'd turn it off! "Background TV was found to disrupt the toy play of the children at every age, even when they paid little attention to it. When the television was on, the children played for significantly shorter periods of time and the time they spent focused on their play was shorter, compared to when the TV was off. " Exposure To Background TV Affects A Child's Play

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 7:49 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I think at that age at the most a half hour a day, but that's just my opinion. We didn't do tv, except these Baby Signing Time dvds that we let her watch about twice a week (25 minutes long) starting at 11 months. I'd always watch them with her and interact with her during it. At 22 months she still only watches about a half hour (same Signing dvds), only now it's rarely more than once a week... She doesn't miss it. Sometimes I kind of envy parents who have it on for 2 hours in the morning to buy themselves some extra zoning out/sleep time, but really I think it's worth the effort to keep them away from it until the recommended age (3 years old ideally). And I know it can be useful to get something done (my kids are 15 months apart), but I've resisted the urge most of the time.
    Anonymous